1. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I have some new roosting boxes (once my husband puts the dividers in I will have some new boxes). I was wondering if I take the old boxes out would that mess up my layers? I know they have there own boxes now that they like to sit in. I don't want to do anything to harm them.

2. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    ok, new boxes or nest boxes...can you explain it in more details? Are your hens laying already? where do they lay??? why new boxes...you lost me at hello....[​IMG] [​IMG] sorry

3. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    If you mean new nest boxes,
    then you may get a lower egg production for a few days while they are figuring out the new layout.
    IMO, take out the old and install the new just before roosting time.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    oh yeah, they're gonna have a fit! but they will get over it in about 3 days.

5. yellowchickensmomma

Aug 19, 2009
    Sorry about that. They are new nesting boxes. I have one chicken who is laying. She has one box that she goes in to lay. They others are not old enough.

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Wooden eggs or even golf balls seem to work wonders teaching them where to lay. I did have one hen who had the homing instinct of a salmon when she was ready to lay. She came to the back door and demanded that she be allowed inside where she was brooded. That is where she knew should have her babies.

7. yellowchickensmomma

Aug 19, 2009
    I'll try the gold ball method. Thanks for your help

8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Here are my nest but No matter what I do this pullet insists on laying in the floor [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by