New boy here needs help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kansasfarmliving, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Kansasfarmliving

Kansasfarmliving New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
    Hello all My Name is David AKA Kansasfarmliving. Today i have looked for an answer to my question and I can not find it anywhere and wondered if you all can help. I have a small farm in Kansas and I want raise some chickens, Can I put up a Chickend Coop and Run on a Hill? There will be no standing water when it rains, but nice grass area. Thanks Have a Blessed Day

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I would probably not recommend it I have read that they need to be on flat and even land. Yet how steep is the hill?

3. Kansasfarmliving

Kansasfarmliving New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
    Hill angle maybe 45deg

4. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Yeah I probably would not recommend it. I think it would be a little to steep for chickens.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow....I didn't know Kansas had hills that steep... [​IMG] I grew up in the hills of WV, and we use to joke about the cows have two legs shorter than the others from grazing on the hills. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of how difficult it would be to build a run on something that steep, especially the lower side, and especially if it was covered. If it wasn't covered, they'd be taking off like airplane running down the hill and up over the fence (that's the mental image that popped into my head anyway). I've seen one person's run that way built on a fairly steep hill (here on BYC)...I'll have to look around for it and get back with you if I can find it...

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I just have a mental image of chickens going headlong downhill, faster and faster, and being unable to stop until they reach the bottom of the hill. Then turning around, looking back home, and deciding it would be too much trouble even to FLY back to the coop.

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] from California

Not in Kansas anymore toto but I was born in Topeka!

I hope you find a nice, more level place for your coop. The way my birds fly I can't see a hill being a problem, but then my birds are on flat ground, so how would I know?

Maybe someone has actually had success with this and will chime in.

8. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
  9. Kansasfarmliving

Kansasfarmliving New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks you guys & Gals, I got to say I never laughed or had mental images as I had as I read you reply's. Thanks so much for the advise I think I will locate a flat spot or just level it out. Thanks again for all your Posts. If I ever need your all's advice I will be sure to look you all up. God Bless and have a Happy & Safe 4th [​IMG]

10. keedokes

keedokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Build the coop into the hill a la Hobbit Hole! That way there's natural insulation, then you can level a place out of the front for the run. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by