New BR Hen Sneezing/Labored Breathing* Pics Added* Update 8/26

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dianaross77, Aug 21, 2011.

1. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I got a BR hen and two bantam cochin hens from a fellow bycer. The BR is in really bad shape due to overmating from several roosters. She has no feathers on her head, neck, and back. Most of the rest of her remaining feathers are broken and she looks like she is getting ready to molt. I brought them home on Friday. They are in quarantine in a room in the house. Today the BR started sneezing a little. I had to go in and remove her from the cage when she had hold of one of the cochins by the comb and was dragging her around. When I went to catch her she started breathing really hard. Also her eyes seem puffy. They aren't running as far as I can tell (she is not easy to handle) and she doesn't appear to have any nasal discharge and isn't coughing. I was thinking about treating her with Tylan 50 injections (1/2cc once a day for 3 days). The cochins seem fine now that they aren't being picked on. They all have voracious appetites and have eaten almost 6 cups of 26% gamebird crumbles and drinking well. So my questions are:

1. Does this seem like an appropriate treatment?
    2. If it is, the injection goes in the muscle of the breast? On the right side if I'm facing her?
    3. Should I treat the cochins or wait to see if they develop symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She could have a fungal infection that Tylan won't fix. If she has gurgles deep down in her chest, similar to pneumonia, that is something I recently experienced and found was fungal in nature due to the hot/humid weather over the last three months in addition to always wetting down the pens to cool them off. Spores get into the air, they breathe them in and an infection sets up.

You can do the Tylan, sure, alternating side of the breast each day for 3-4 days, no longer, but if you can get Oxine and can use it in a cool mist vaporizer in 10 minute sessions a few times each day, that might help. Oxine kills every known fungus, bacteria and virus it's been tested on and wont hurt them. You can even add 1/8 teaspoon to a gallon waterer for them to drink. Revival Animal Health has Oxine for a good price and you can get it through Amazon.com, but they dropship from Revival.

A good article on fungal infections--not saying for sure that's what's wrong, but could be part of it, because of the weather most folks have experienced lately.

http://chickencoop.maxupdates.tv/how-to-treat-upper-respiratory-fungal-infections/

3. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Thank you so much Speckledhen! I will go listen to her chest. It should be fun, she really hates me so far. I'll upload some pics of her just in case too. She just looks old and grumpy. [​IMG] Poor girl.
    Would it hurt to use both treatments? I was happy to read you can use the oxine with a spray bottle set to mist. I've ordered puppy vaccinations from revival and was really happy with my experience. Thanks again.

4. speckledhen

Poor girl, just saw her pics. Yes, you can do Tylan and mist with Oxine, too. Oxine is not an antibiotic or a med, but a disinfectant and anti fungal so it won't work against the Tylan.

5. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I really appreciate it. I'm going to order some Oxine right now and will pick up some tylan too. She was really nice about me listening to her chest. She didn't like it but she could've pecked me and I wouldn't have blamed her.

eta: I forgot to mention her lungs sounded clear. Just loud breathing.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  7. speckledhen

8. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:I just saw your thread. I figured it couldn't hurt her.

9. speckledhen

I'd boost her immune system with extra protein. I use canned salmon, rinse off any salty liquid, maybe add some finely chopped fresh garlic, add some scrambled eggs, add a tablespoon of olive oil for circulation. She needs lots of TLC. I'm so partial to BRs, as you probably know.

I answered you on the other thread--do NOT use the citric acid activator with the Oxine for misting the birds. It's unsafe when you add that, great for disinfecting the coop, but not for putting in their water or misting/fogging the birds themselves.

10. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:She's eating 26% gamebird starter. Should I supplement with more protein?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by