New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Thanks to brahmapapa (Tom), I now have 9 beautiful Brahma chicks. He has a Blue Partridge rooster over Patridge hens, giving either variety, and a pen of Darks.

I've wanted more Brahmas for quite awhile now. I have had Lights and a Buff from a hatchery and I still have my Buff Brahma, Caroline, who is going on 10 years old now. Because of their personality (friendly, but not needy) and their tolerance for both heat and cold, as well as their beauty, we now have a new group growing out, just 2 weeks old yesterday. I have not much idea how many are actually blue partridge as opposed to straight partridge (there are only two Darks) or exactly how many cockerels and pullets are in the group. Any input here is greatly appreciated as I am learning about these color varieties, never having had either. Closest to this pattern we ever had was a Silver Phoenix hen a few years ago. And if there are feathering differences the first two weeks that will give a sneak peek into the sexes, i.e., longer early flight feathers on my Orps were almost always males, let me know! @Sjisty , @anac1979 and other Brahma aficiandos!

I have a thread devoted to my Barred Plymouth Rock breeding groups, but decided Brahmas were so completely different, they deserved their own thread. Hope you enjoy the photos. All Brahma experts are welcome to give input on these birds. I hope to keep one cockerel and maybe three pullets in the partridge variety and unless both Darks are male, will keep both of those. Tom says to look for very wide heads to pick keepers but I probably won't cull heavily right now due to the small number I have to pick from. I do have limited room, though, so hope to get a Blue Partridge male to put over the pullets. And I will have to keep the Darks in with the others until and unless I need them separated. I realize you can breed the two varieties together, though one is silver and one is gold, which gives something visually one thing but carrying the other.

Last edited:
Moved these four week old chicks to another coop with their mom, Thea. Getting some chest feathers so sexing should be on the horizon.

DSC00069.JPG
DSC00070.JPG
DSC00072.JPG
DSC00073.JPG
DSC00074.JPG
DSC00077.JPG
DSC00078.JPG
DSC00079.JPG
DSC00080.JPG
DSC00081.JPG

Sorry to pop in out of nowhere. This thread and all of the great information within all 126 pages is why I actually created my BYC account.

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on some GFF Blue partridge chicks about 5 months ago. They have been an absolute joy to own and I can’t imagine ever not having Brahmas after raising these guys.

The only problem I’m having is trying to pin down the color of my Cockerel. The rooster he’s out of is a splash and his mom was blue but his coloring is almost a Mottled/Mille Fleur Blue PT.

Would you mind if I posted a picture of him for some input?

Brahma babies are hatching today! Three out, three to go (all pipped). Brandy is, of course, Super Mom, and doesn't mind some human co-parenting. If the 7th egg had not broken on Day 14, she would have probably had 7 chicks on her 7th hatch. She's a treasure, that hen.
DSC05411.JPG
DSC05412.JPG
DSC05413.JPG
DSC05414.JPG

All are laying and Cora is acting like she's thinking about going broody. Nothing from Brandy or Bonnie so far this year.
DSC01277.JPG
DSC01278.JPG

And today when I ran them back inside, I could not find Cora anywhere! I kept counting and recounting the girls, only five in there. She was nowhere outside, either, so I went to the back of the barn to see if she was nosing around in the storage area. This is where I found her. I had put that pet carrier bottom in a pen to see if she was broody the other day and she laid an egg in it, but I had to remove it from the pen to put a mama with chicks in that pen so I just sat it up on top of the feed cans. Silly hen. The D'Anvers kept wondering who that strange girl was looking over their wall, LOL.
DSC01264.JPG
DSC01272.JPG
DSC01274.JPG

Gorgeous birds. They always look clean and healthy.

Thanks, Lisa. We spend more time cleaning their homes than we do ours, I swear.

Babies today, the four week olds and Bonnie's babies that are just over a week old now.

DSC01813.JPG
DSC01814.JPG
DSC01817.JPG
DSC01818.JPG
DSC01819.JPG

DSC01815.JPG
DSC01816.JPG
DSC01826.JPG

Back
Top Bottom