New Brahma owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Missmegan_14, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Missmegan_14

Missmegan_14 In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2019
    Hello! I'm Megan. I'll be the proud new owner of 15 Brahma chicks this week. I've never owned chickens so I'm a bit nervous. They were vaccinated for Merk and something else at the hatchery (Murray McMurray) and I have Naturesmart organic chick starter and Nutridense ready for them. I know about the temperature, how to place the light, etc but I feel like I'm missing something. Do I need two water sources, one with electrolytes/probiotics and one without? What is chick grit and do I need it? Also I had planned on keeping them in my living room until they're old enough to live outside but someone said that's unsanitary. They're going to be in a brooder, no way to get out and I have no option to leave outside in a garage or something. Does this sound ok or should I keep them out of my house no matter what?
    Thank you for any help! I look forward to learning from all of you!

2. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    You don’t need 2 water sources when giving electrolytes, but it is better to have 2, they will need chick grit to properly digest their food and treats. I would get that brooder out of your house! There are more and more cases were people have died from the dust that gets into your vents. And the chicks will need to be inside for six weeks, where are you located? By 2 weeks the chicks will be creating so much dust it will coat everything in the room, and not to mention the smell!

3. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I put ours in my husbands office. Laundry room is ok. Need thermometer with heat source. Pine mulch for bedding. Just one kind of water with sav a chick electrolytes is all I used for first 5 days then once a week and it worked great. Water first hour dip beaks of each so they know where the water is as you put into the brooder. After that offer chicken starter grower crumble medicated 20% unmedicated if already treated against coccidiosis. Need chick grit after 3 weeks when start supplements like greens cabbage and dried mealworms. These teach them to forage for greens and bugs plus good for them. :)

Welcome to BYC! :welcome:bun:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

4. I have to agree. We are fortunate to have a mostly finished apartment apart attached to our garage where we have put the chicks and it is a mess no matter how we tryy to keep the mess down. It's too much fun to see them dust bathe to have to worry about dust!

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Megan, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I brooded my chicks in my garage in a brooder from the day they arrived.
    I offered chick grit in their second week and small pieces of broken up dried mealworms shortly after they started eating the grit.
    I gave them plugs of sod from the yard starting in their third week.
    I've fed them their feed fermented from day one.
    Have fun with your new chicks!

6. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :frow Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

7. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Megan and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good morning, Megan, and welcome to BYC.

9. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Hello Megan, welcome to Backyard Chickens.
    Good luck with your new Brahma chicks!!
    712F575B-49EC-40ED-B6AF-AA072FFA54B7.jpeg

10. Glitterchicks

Glitterchicks Master Delegator

Apr 11, 2018
    Boise, Idaho
    Welcome to BYC:wee! You'll like it here. Congratulations on your new chicks!!
    We need to see pictures! :pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: