New Brahma Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThePigeonKid, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    I just got a Brahma rooster the other day. He was given to me by a rich woman who was scared to death of him, and is, thankfully, giving away all her chickens...

His beak was very long, and I've had to trim it down quite a bit. Also, I am wondering whether I should/how to trim his spurs, as they are over an inch long.

Also, his feet are rather large, and I am not sure whether they are swollen or not. They are red in several spots.

So, basically, I just want a little advice with my new bird. [​IMG]

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Good job on the free roo! Mine was free too.

You really shouldn't need to trim spurs unless the rooster is aggressive. That being said they can be cut using dog nail trimmers. Don't cut too short as the cuticle is in there & it will hurt. Its just a modified fingernail anyway.

If you are in doubt about the feet - coat the legs & feet in vaseline. This will kill any mites that may be under the skin irritating him. Just a quick coat 1x per week for 2 or 3 weeks should do the trick.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I cut my roos spurs back to about 1/4 inch using a small hacksaw. There are videos on YouTube that show you how to do it with pliars in a painless way. I have never done it that way but it seems to be a pretty popular way to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by