BDutch

natural
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
I would like it if there was a breeder somewhere that was breeding chickens with roosters that don’t give the alarm 🚨.

It would be great to have a (bantam) rooster that doesn’t wake me and the neighbourhood up every morning at sunrise 🌅 .

Why isn’t there a breeder on this planet giving it a try? Many people would embrace this this new ‘ No crow’ breed bc of city laws just dont like to deal with the noise of roosters.

I don’t see how it is possible? The physical components for crowing can’t just be bred out, it’s like trying to make humans that can’t shout - you either stop them talking all together or just embrace that it’s a part of nature, you shouldn’t be able to pick which sound to physically expel from any animals vocal chords because it doesn’t suit you. Though I still don’t grasp how it could be actually done anyway.

*I’m not trying to be rude. Just my opinion.

I think no one has tried it because anyone who can breed chickens typically don’t need to worry about it.
Chickens are very plastic and the crow has been altered before. I wonder if removing it altogether would be possible, and if so, whether it would be effective upon the fertility of the birds.
But you would need to find quieter birds in the first place. Breeders can’t take something out of nothing and only work with something that’s already there.

I don’t see how it is possible? The physical components for crowing can’t just be bred out, it’s like trying to make humans that can’t shout - you either stop them talking all together or just embrace that it’s a part of nature, you shouldn’t be able to pick which sound to physically expel from any animals vocal chords because it doesn’t suit you. Though I still don’t grasp how it could be actually done anyway.

*I’m not trying to be rude. Just my opinion.
I think it must be possible to breed a Rooster that crows without the very loud noise. Just as it has been possible to establish a breed called long-crow with roosters that crow a very very long time.

All characteristics in special ornamental chickens originate from normal wild chickens. Take the polish with their funny and fluffy wigs. There must have been some chickens that had a more fluffy head to start with.

I know that rooster can crow loud bc they have a shell inside the ear that closes when they start to Crow. If you have a couple of rooster that make less noise it is possible that this has to do with a poor closing of the ear shell or with the way the vocal cord (or whatever) is build. This can be a caused by a defect in a gene.

Therefore I do believe its posdible to select a group of less noisy roosters to breed with and you can breed a ‘Soft crow’ rooster within a couple of years. Or maybe 10 years max.
A no crow rooster might take 50 years, but even that must be possible.

No I have no rooster because they are too loud. And there are many people who cant have one, I don’t need a rooster that doesn’t crow at all. I just want one that isn’t loud.

I think no one has tried it because anyone who can breed chickens typically don’t need to worry about it.
Chickens are very plastic and the crow has been altered before. I wonder if removing it altogether would be possible, and if so, whether it would be effective upon the fertility of the birds.
But you would need to find quieter birds in the first place. Breeders can’t take something out of nothing and only work with something that’s already there.
I Agree on this one, I’m sure it can work with the same kind of patience and persistence as with the selection of a ornamental new breed or for other functionality.

Like the making naked neck chickens or sebrights in the past. They even made a new ‘naked chicken’ breed through selection. So they don’t have to pluck the chickens anymore.

I think it must be possible to breed a Rooster that crows without the very loud noise. Just as it has been possible to establish a breed called long-crow with roosters that crow a very very long time.

All characteristics in special ornamental chickens originate from normal wild chickens. Take the polish with their funny and fluffy wigs. There must have been some chickens that had a more fluffy head to start with.

I know that rooster can crow loud bc they have a shell inside the ear that closes when they start to Crow. If you have a couple of rooster that make less noise it is possible that this has to do with a poor closing of the ear shell or with the way the vocal cord (or whatever) is build. This can be a caused by a defect in a gene.

Therefore I do believe its posdible to select a group of less noisy roosters to breed with and you can breed a ‘Soft crow’ rooster within a couple of years. Or maybe 10 years max.
A no crow rooster might take 50 years, but even that must be possible.

No I have no rooster because they are too loud. And there are many people who cant have one, I don’t need a rooster that doesn’t crow at all. I just want one that isn’t loud.
It would be possible to select for short-crow. You could start with Aseels or a similar breed. Aseels cut off their crow and Aseel-influenced breeds do that to some extent.

Maybe breed Aseels to a really mellow breed that crows just once in a while?

The only purpose here is the idea of quiet roosters...not appearance, not eggs, not broodiness, etc.

I doubt you could get no-crow, but short-crow and doesn’t-crow-often is indeed possible.

I think it would be possible, though it may not be ethical nor practical.

You could probably do it through many generations of selective breeding. It may be difficult, but it seems possible.

How ethical and practical it is is a different discussion. Crowing has a purpose, it’s not just something they do for fun. It is a call they use mainly to claim territory or hens. They can also crow to scare away predators, or to send information across a long distance. Getting rid of their ability to crow would also most likely impair their ability to produce other vocalisations. To completely remove their ability to crow would probably involve changing their vocal cords, which may cause other important noises to be removed as well. You can’t just make it so something can’t make one sound without damaging their ability to produce others, that’s not how it works. All actions have consequences, and in a case like this removing an important trait we find annoying may cause them to not be able to rooster properly. That can spell disaster for a flock dependent on a roo, that happens to not be able to roo correctly.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, I don’t think no-crow is possible, realistic, or ethical.

The breed with the short crow that I mentioned (Aseel) is a game breed that is highly alert and very good at defending their territory and taking care of hens and even baby chicks. The roosters just have short crows.

If you have good, safe runs you could breed the Aseels to a mellow breed that rarely crows....

Back
Top Bottom