Feb 11, 2021
United States of America
Blue Laced Gold Wyandottes

Hoover's Hatchery
Just came out with a new Breed
Anyone have or get any of these?

https://hoovershatchery.com/blgw.html

Or anyone have or raised your own?
What breeds did you use to cross? Did you use a blue laced red wyandotte rooster roo and a gold laced wyandotte hen, or visa versa?? Or seabrights?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210511-224453_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210511-224453_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 107
I've got a wee project going - originally started with a Sebright hen crossed with a Pekin rooster.

The rooster in my avatar is from this project line.
The pictures below are his daughters from the last two seasons.

Some of these girls will be paired up with new and unrelated Citron Sebright roosters for the coming season.

Very much looking forward to seeing the results!!

2019 Sekin Project Hens.jpg 2020 Project Hen 1 Cropped.jpg 2020 Project Hen 2.jpg

It's not a new breed, just a new variety, and I'm not impressed so far. Ordered 5 females, got 6 (had a more expenive chick replaced by one of these) and every one is just black laced. I get the whole BBS genetics thing, but surely out of 6, I would have at least 1 splash or blue
I'd be disappointed in that too - especially the substitute for the more expensive chick :(

And yes - probability says you should have got at least 50% blue in there -

But you know.. probability also tells us we should get 50% roosters and 50% hens right? And how many times to we get predominantly roosters when we want hens and vice versa! LOL

But you know.. probability also tells us we should get 50% roosters and 50% hens right? And how many times to we get predominantly roosters when we want hens and vice versa! LOL
Yes, but with 6, I still expected at least 1 to be not black. Instead I got 6 of a color I can't stand, and have now had to waste 2 months to move them along and recoup some expense with nothing to show for it.

As for the male to female, if younpay attention to which hens are throwing more males, you can cukk them and solve that problem within a season or two if you're efficient enough

Yes, but with 6, I still expected at least 1 to be not black. Instead I got 6 of a color I can't stand, and have now had to waste 2 months to move them along and recoup some expense with nothing to show for it.

As for the male to female, if younpay attention to which hens are throwing more males, you can cukk them and solve that problem within a season or two if you're efficient enough
True that! Yeah you buy blue to get blue so getting black would be a letdown I agree.

I wonder if they're using breeding stock where only one parent carries the blue? That would account for the high black percentage.

Personally I would rather see them have both parents being blue - then you'd get 50% blue, 25% splash, and only 25% black. Even getting a splash would be interesting.

Blue Laced Gold Wyandottes

Hoover's Hatchery
Just came out with a new Breed
Anyone have or get any of these?

https://hoovershatchery.com/blgw.html

Or anyone have or raised your own?
What breeds did you use to cross? Did you use a blue laced red wyandotte rooster roo and a gold laced wyandotte hen, or visa versa?? Or seabrights?
I have one still young and changing so not sure on it all yet. Got from a local feed store.

Attachments

• BBDF07FF-0EDA-4E99-93BD-982CF18ACA85.jpeg
    BBDF07FF-0EDA-4E99-93BD-982CF18ACA85.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 53

Back
Top Bottom