New breeds to consider

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gpeters3, Feb 21, 2016.

1. gpeters3

gpeters3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Near Adrian MI
    I acquired a beautiful black hen but not sure what she is. I will be building a brood pen and buying some from TSC as soon as they get them in.

Here are a pic of her and her eggs (green). Now i know where Dr Suess got his ideas :)

Ok, im an idiot, where is the add pictire button?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Black hen, green eggs - she is very likely an Easter Egger. TSC here in NJ sells them, but they are sold as 'Americana'.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^^

add pic icon here:
    [​IMG]

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    A black hen with facial 'muff' and slate colored legs would be an Ameraucana. If she's got green legs, she's an Easter Egger hybrid. Mary

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Laying green eggs was the clue to it being an EE.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So true! Mary

7. gpeters3

Oct 11, 2015
    Near Adrian MI
    TSC calls Americaunas(?) Easter eggers. I just bought 2 of each of rhode island red, aaustrolorp, black sex link, what ever you call them above (3) and a couple of others i cant remember so i now have 9 (10?) different breeds and, if they all live, ill have to give some away or build more space. My hope is to have as diverse a flock as possible for color and interest for the kids and us. My hens are just beginning to lay (so much for red light in winter) and im the only one eating eggs so they are producing more then i can eat :) Cant wait til the little ones start laying, might have to go into business selling eggs :)

Anyway, i will have to build a run along the back of the barn this summer which means getting rid of a bunch of blocks and stone and making several trips to the dump with demolition etc.. Im so excited....(has to be done anyway) if i could figure out how to attach or embed a picture id show you my brood pen i just made :-([​IMG]

8. gpeters3

Oct 11, 2015
    Near Adrian MI

Ok, ill try again (only gotnone picture)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boy! This is tedious. Onlynletse add one pic at a time :-(

9. gpeters3

Oct 11, 2015
    Near Adrian MI
    Just remembered the other one, Leghorn so i have ausrtolorp, americauna, leghorn, black sex link, rhode island red, bared rock, isa red, whatever the black one is and a couple i dont know so maybe 10 different breeds now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by