New Brinsea Eco 20 - any tips or Advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pennyhatch, Jan 10, 2014.

1. pennyhatch

pennyhatch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    I just got a new Beinsea Eco 20, the water in the incubator seems to be Evaporating pretty quick every 2 days .. I just wanted to hear from people that have been running this incubator for a while with good success rate...

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I have the same model incubator and I've had great hatches in it so far. I really like it, but the wells are a bit of a pain. I bought a hygrometer so I can monitor the humidity in it though and I fill the wells accordingly. I found the wells do dry out fairly quickly, but then they are not that big and with the moving air...

Tip: When it comes to lockdown, remove the tray that the eggs are in and place a clean, never been used before, cloth over the wells, dipping it in slightly, so it can soak up the water in the wells. Then keep that cloth damp, not sopping wet, just damp. I found it hard to maintain the correct humidity for lockdown with only the wells filled up, but with the damp cloth it was perfect and all I had to do was top it up every 12 hours or so.

3. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I've had great success with my brinsea 20 Eco. It hatched out lots goslings for me. I never really kept track of humidity during incubation until hatch time. So some days it ran dry and I still had great hatch rates. I found the temp to be steady and the thermometer accurate. Good luck :)

4. pennyhatch

pennyhatch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    Thanks for the great info! There is one thing that still worries me.. My brand new brinsea Eco 20 temp keeps going from 99.5 to 98.8 every now and then, then it will go back to about 99.3. I'm using the brinsea spot on thermometer and it's driving me crazy how the temp first stay 100% stable ... Any advice on this ... Iv had a Lyon tx-6 before and never had the temp problem..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by