New Brinsea Octagon Eco 20 Arrived!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchickenfamily, Jan 6, 2010.

1. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so excited about my new incubator! I've been using a Hova Bator 1588 with disappointing results. I've just got the new one up and running. Thought I'd share here since I know you all will appreciate!! [​IMG]

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Congrats on the new Brinsea! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I have 17 turkey eggs incubating in mine right now. For small hatches I still choose the Brinsea over my GQF cabinet 'bators. The Brinsea holds temp and humidity well, cleans up easily, takes little space, and is so reliable. Did you get the autoturn cradle or will you be turning by hand? What type of eggs are you going to incubate first?

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    lucky you lucky you, it is still a lil out of my price range but good luck with it

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Congratulations! I LOVE mine and am looking forward to using it again in a month or two.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think if I don't get a good hatch with my hova bator and LF I will sell them and save up for one of these I have heard great things about them so far though my Hova Bator and my LG are both holding temp and eggs are developing. But the Brinsea has always been my dream and its perfect size for the amount of hatching I would like to do the only problem is I couldn't use it for a staggared hatch.

Good luck hope you get lots of chicks.

Henry

6. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    I love mine [​IMG]- and just did my first hatch with it ! love it! but alittle cramped when chicks start to hatch!

7. newchickenfamily

Thanks guys! I knew you'd understand! [​IMG] I have a couple Maran eggs, Welsummer eggs and lots of bantam Buff Brahmas, Salmon Favorelles & 2 Porceline D'Uccles. I got all but the Maran eggs from UglyDucky. Crossing fingers for a great hatch!

8. MarriedToTheFarm

MarriedToTheFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2009
    That's so exciting! I just got mine on Monday and just set my first ever hatch about an hour ago. So far I'm very impressed with the temperature holding capabilities. Mine was set a little high so I had to adjust it down but then it is so steady. Are you weighing your eggs at all like Brinsea suggests? I did weigh mine first but I'm a little hesitant to take them all out and weigh them later on.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  9. newchickenfamily

[​IMG] MarriedToTheFarm! No, I didn't weigh the eggs as suggested... [​IMG] My temp is holding steady at 98.6. Think I may need to tweak it just a tiny bit. Good luck with your hatch! I just set mine last night (1/6).

10. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    We love ours too. It has been running non stop since May (it has paid for itself already, I don't have one single chick that hatched, we sold them all). The last several sets were 100% hatched all the other sets were no more than 2 eggs lost. The eggs that are in it now will probably be the last we set in it. We bought a used GQF Sportsman 1500. Now I can set up to 96 eggs a week (it has three trays, each is 96, I use a hatcher to hatch). My wife wants to save the Eco for back up. BTW: we don't weigh the eggs, just candle at 7 and 14 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by