New brooder and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by topgunn601, Feb 23, 2013.

1. topgunn601

topgunn601 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    My son and I built this over the last few days. [​IMG] went to Tractor Supply to get a lamp and a few other things then my wife saw these. lol[​IMG] this one she named happy feet its the only one with feathery feet [​IMG] and[​IMG]the twins. [​IMG][/IMG] two black ones[​IMG] and a red one that is much bigger than the others they are bantoms my wife had a fit in the store over them!!! [​IMG]

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    they are adorable![​IMG] what breed are they? Cochin?

3. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    Have no idea!! They were in the assorted Bantom bin. Was hoping some of the experts around her may have some ideas. Happy Feet has feathery feet and legs. Thought it might have some silkie in it. My wife had such a fit over them she almost got us kicked out of tractor supply!![​IMG][​IMG]

4. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    We lost one of the twins this morning. Not sure what happened. When I checked them at 7 this mornin I clean there hind ends and it seemed fine. My wife got it out for a few min. and took some pics seemed fine. Bout an hour later I checked them again and it was Layin on its side no movement I picked it up it perked up for a min then just stopped breathing right in my hand IDK what happened!!!

[​IMG]
    R.I.P lil buddy!!

5. acemario

acemario Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Strange!

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    When I first saw the pic of your brooder I was worried about drafts. here is my babies. [​IMG]
    born 2/19-20

7. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    Yea I've been working on getting the temp right trough out the brooder. Ben putting towels on the top to hold in heat a lil better seemed to work well last night. Added another lamp to day to heat both ends. Working on positioning of lamps as I type.

8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I lost sleep over keeping the temp right. At least with a store bought you can probably rest.

9. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    I'm really wanting to get it right I have 24 heritage RIR that were put in an incubator yesterday for me. I'll be picking them up around the 20th of March. Yea I had a dream our heat lamp went out the other night so jumped up and ran to check!!! [​IMG] I added the second light and just put towels on top checked about an hr ago temp was around 98.

10. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    Just checked again temp around 102 folded the towels back a lil to vent a lil heat. How far should the thermometer be fro the lamp ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by