New Brooder Box Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantamweight21, Feb 5, 2013.

1. bantamweight21

bantamweight21 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Smiths Al
    My brooder box is made of 2.5 inch thick wood and it is 52the inches in length and the height is about 20to inches. I have a 250 watt heat light hooked up and placed on top like my image here. Would there be any concerns of a fire. I work everyday and dont get off at the latest of 3pm would this be ok. My chicks seem to like it:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Don't trust the clamp on the light. Add a chain, tie the cord to something above or put a screw through the oval portion of the clamp sticking out far enough so it cannot fall. Your doing good with the light at one end so they can get away from the heat at times. Also they will escape through that gap in the screen in a couple of days when they get their wing feathers.

3. bantamweight21

Oct 29, 2012
    Smiths Al
    Yea i know they can escape i just havent finished the wire. But i could drill holes in the wood by the clamp and zip tie it right?

4. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I trust the clamps on my light, but just now thinking about it i realize i probably shouldnt. :/

5. bantamweight21

Oct 29, 2012
    Smiths Al
    One of my chicks just died. I dont understand the temp is fine. I guess its just one of those chicks.that wont.survive. it was healthy. Im down from 6 to 3 chicks

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    You should have chick starter and water available at all times. They eat constantly. I can't tell what the floor of the brooder is made of. Although I doubt that would have any influence but It doesn't appear to have any bedding. Make sure it's about 95 degrees directly under the light although they appear to be sleeping comfortably under the light in the picture. Just secure the light in a way so that it cannot touch anything that might be flamable if it does fall. Don't use any aerosol product around your little ones,something we often forget. Sorry for your loss. Some just don't survive but don't give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by