New Brooder Idea.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabrielle1976, Feb 25, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

I talked to some church freinds that have a farm and they said I could have one of there .....Im actually not shure what its called ... But its a wooden crate type thing thats about 4 feet long 4 feet wide and 3 feet tall or something like that they keep pumpkins and squash in them during there harvest season and wont need them again till around september.
    Does anyone think this would make a good brooder for my chicks once they are about 2 weeks old or so? I figure If I can fit it in my house then Ill do it, just need to get it thru the door way lol. I figure that gives them plenty of space and its tall enough they cant hop out hopefully and hopefully I can rig some perches for them in it. They are about 6 days old right now.

[​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Sounds great! [​IMG] However, once they get to be older and start learning to fly and hop around, you may have to put some type of lid on.

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Cut a hole in the wall if need be. Sounds perfect actually.. Good Luck

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I think they are only letting me barrow it , now if they would let me keep it I would probly make a door in front and then make a wire mesh top/cage and turn it into more of an indoor coop / brooder ..
    OMG its started ...[​IMG]

Im trying to find ways to have apartment chickens.... someone please please talk me down...[​IMG]
    I am only sapose to be raiseing chicks for people that want chickens but dont want to deal with the fragil fluff ball stage. I am not sapose to keep them I am not sapose to keep them I am not sapose to keep them.......Not even the cute little white silkie something or other ..
    though i have read that silkies like ground roosting and dont mind inclosed small areas... NO NO NO lol
    some one slap me

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My worry would be how to clean the bottom of it. My babies are 2 weeks old now and MAN THEY POOP A LOT!!!

6. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    My feed store gives me huge outdoor lawn bags full of stray and hay thats fallen off the bales , for 2.50 a bag, the 6 day olds in there little tub brooder have only needed there pens cleaned every other day so far Im shure it will go up to every day or more when they grow.I figure I know lots of people with organic gardens and such maybe they would like straw and chicken poo compost lol.

7. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I do have another question.
    What can you make pearches out of for little chicks and when do they need to start useing them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by