New brooder, only second time brooding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueferral, Feb 15, 2012.

1. blueferral

blueferral Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Hi all,
    I have been lurking for years. We are on year three with chickens. My first 12 girls I bought at the feed store. I got a Rooster from a fellow I know. The second year we hatched out 6. This year new neighbors moved in and their dogs killed all but 4 of our birds. The original rooster "Rusty" and his son "Junior" and two of out youngest girls, easter eggers.

I just completed converting my old dog house into a brooder. My wife said no more chicks in the house. The peeping makes the cats crazy and the dust makes her crazy.

So the dog house ...er brooder is 4 foot by 8 foot. The actual enclosed area is 5x4 with a 3x4 covered porch. I have 25 chicks inbound, well 26 with the free mystery chick.

One light in the brooder got the temp to 87f directly under the light during the day time, out side temp about 60f. I didn't think this would be warm enough, so I added a second light.

Directly under both lights it is 105f. about a foot outside the focus of the lights the temp is 95f. This is the the door cracked slightly. (the door is opposite the prevailing winds). The lights are suspended as high up as i can get them, about 2 1/2 feet up. I do have ventilation in the top of the dog house.

Now to the question. Considering 26 chicks, the 20 square foot area:

When the body heat of the chicks are added will this be overheating, just right or under heating?

Thanks for your replies.

Blueferral

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm not sure if it's the same with chicks as ducklings but I think that may be overheating them. How long do you plan on keeping them in that brooder? also [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. blueferral

blueferral Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Well as the evening has progressed the temp has dropped into the mid 90s under the lights. I plan on keeping the chicks in there until they feather out. At which point I will move them out to the 10x10 dog kennel with covered top that is next to the coop. I will keep a light out there as well, group we put out there last year did well. So, I'm guessing they will be in the brooder for about 6 to 8 weeks depending.

I think during the day I will have to turn off the second light if it gets that warm. I have two thermometers one under the lights and a second one a foot/foot and a half away. I can also, open and close the door to adjust the temperature if it is too hot. I'll probably have to spend a good bit of time out there the first few days getting the hang of controlling the temperature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by