New brooder set up-Love it! (with pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noodleroo, May 15, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    When Ideal sent 10 extras SLX's with my 11 BOs, I had to expand my brooder space. I got a 40 gallon stock tank and it is the perfect size for my babies. They really love it, too; they have a branch for perching on the ground (because they still topple a little) and I got some clean, very fine sand from the yard that they just can't leave alone. They'll be one week old tomorrow (5/16). I'm enjoying them so much...
    [​IMG]
    Here's the little girls enjoying their sand:
    [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh, that is very sweet. Thanks for sharing with us!

Do you have your coop built? They sure do grow fast!

Good luck with your chicks!

3. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Oh yes, my son built a chicken tractor for me for Mother's Day. I'm only going to keep the 4 tamest (if thats a word) here at the house and the others will go to our property with a big coop and grown! black sex links in the country. Its probably going to be hard to choose; they are really laid back little chicks. They're in a spare bedroom for now and I talk as I'm opening the door so they know we're comming. Then they see a Collie nose checking them and then me and 'the hand'. They are very tame already. They'll be like the rest of my pets; they'd never dream that anything would hurt them! Not many predators to worry about here at the house, but there's everything at the bay... We just lost a sex link that loved to run and play in the shallow end of one of the ponds to an aligator!

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    cute lil' set up! cute lil' chicks! i ordered 8 chicks from MPC and they sent me 9....i could only keep 4 as well. i kept 1 BO, 1 SCM, and 2 EE. all 4 are very tame cuz i held them so much as chicks....they're still chicks...they're only 5 weeks old and already they look like miniature hens! so cute!!

5. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Hey chkinut; I saw in another post that you DNA test your egg shells? Can you tell us about that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by