New brooder set up!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandelyn, Mar 27, 2017.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Built around the size of the largest cage pan TSC sells, 30x36 inches. No wire in the bottom, just the pan that will get sand. Half wood, half wire around the sides and a solid top. The lamp will get affixed inside the boxed portion. Access doors on each side. Can't wait for the babies to be big enough to try it out! The barn isn't heated so I'm weather watching for the move.

They're designed to be stackable, up to 3 high. They're 2' tall. This way I can separate batches by breed. Used 1/4" hardware cloth for the wire. Have 2 done so far.

Next we need to build the juvenile pens, for after they're feathered.

I use large plastic bins for the first 2 weeks to get them started inside where I can keep a close eye on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Nice job! That's similar to the brooder my DH made only you have a pull out tray to clean (I like that idea). My brooder was on legs so we could see the chicks at eye level which was convenient.

Good job!

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I was thinking of building a base for when they get stacked, so that the bottom one isn't at ground level. Right now we have them on the work table while we ponder placement, which places them right at easy arm reach height.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by