1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New brooder will be 1/2 the stable - no pressure to hatch then!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jacyjones, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I have just bought an incubator and have 12 eggs to go in on Saturday morning. I was inspired by a friend to try hatching my own and it seemed a good way to use the empty stable now the horse has gone. My DH was not very keen but has gone along with the idea.
    Today he announced he had bought the material to make the brooder and it will take half the 12' x12' stable!! This will be the accommodation when they are big enough to leave a small brooder and will have a roof and door and be big enough to walk in!! My goodness, I never expected this and just hope my hatching is successful. No pressure then!

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Wow! Just think of the possibilities with all that space!

My Cornish X brooder room is 8' x 7'. For the first few weeks the chicks are in a raised, confined brooder and then get moved to the floor when they're larger.

Good luck with your hatches... hope you'll keep us updated with pics.

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Thanks - maybe I could produce enough birds to sell a few - but then I will need a bigger incubator.....................here we go!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by