New Brooder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ENor70, Apr 18, 2016.

1. ENor70

ENor70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Hi Everyone:

It was time to move the chicks out of the basement cardboard brooder, so I put this together last Friday afternoon. I have 25, three week old, chicks (Australorps, Columbian and Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Speckled Sussex). I moved the chicks out to it tonight. It is built in one of our horse stalls in the barn. It's 8x6x3, and is constructed for easy disassembly/reassembly. Just for kicks, I also built a couple mini-roosts which they are currently trying to figure out. [​IMG] It was a lot of anticipatory fun building this, and I'm happy to report that thus far they seem to like it a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Wow - thats one neat brooder! I'm sure that they are happy little campers in their new but temporary home!

CT

3. ENor70

Sep 16, 2015
    Thanks, CTKen. They seem pretty happy. It cooled off a bit here so I added an additional heat lamp, and moved up to 250 watt bulbs. It is interesting that now that they have more space they are really putting on pecking order displays. Fun to watch. Thanks again for your kind comment.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    :thumbsup

5. ENor70

Sep 16, 2015
    Here are a couple pic update. All 25 are still healthy, so I'm happy. I think they dig their digs, but in a couple more weeks I'm guessing they will outgrow the brooder. It is amazing to me how quickly they increase size and weight.
    [​IMG]

The SLW on the roost in the bottom left corner cracks me up. I didn't notice it until I was about to post the picture. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by