new brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MNmommy, May 12, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I had to transfer my 5 week old chicks to a bigger brooder in the garage (they were inside) and they have been chest bumping a lot now. Is it common to reestablish the order when they are in a new environment?? They will be going to their coop in a week or 2 will they do it all over again?? No one is getting hurt but they all seem much more feisty. Maybe they just have more room to spread their wings?? I am just stressing that their are more roos than I originally suspected?? I know hens will do this too but I am just worried everyone is a roo!!!

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I think they're just taking advantage of all the new increased room they have to play in. Boy & girl chicks play like that, chest-bumping isn't limited to cockerel chicks. In the next few weeks you should begin to be able to identify the boys, their combs should be getting larger/redder by then. Their little wattles will begin to show under their chins too.

Have fun with your chickies!

3. Shay1327

Shay1327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Franklinville, NY
    Lol, my lot did that too when they moved into their new "mansion-like" brooder. And I can tell you my known pullets can be big instigators to the whole mosh pit scene. Then I wake up this morning to my 4 1/2 weekers sitting on top of the brooder, guess my babies are growing up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by