New broody condo in the coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JusticeFamilyFarm, Feb 20, 2012.

1. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    My husband and I added a small, sectioned off, broody condo in our coop today. We have a broody hen currently sitting on some eggs, but I wasn't prepared for that and things aren't going too well. So, I figured now is as good a time as any to prepare for next time! Maybe she'll get a hatch and maybe she won't, but now we'll be ready. Here are a few pics, or you can check it out in my blog (the link is in my signature)- it's the second to last post right now. Thanks for looking!
    Here's two before shots of the inside of the coop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then we had closed off the bottom 5 nest boxes, since all the girls preferred two of the top ones. ; ) And now we turned the bottom into our broody condo and introduction pen. We hinged the wood that was covering the nest boxes so that we can open up a section at a time (2 or 3 boxes), then added legs and welded wire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here's our first broody girl:
    [​IMG]

2. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    [​IMG] Got my fingers crossed for you! That is a great idea.

3. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    we may need to do this...great idea ;)

4. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Thanks! It was pretty easy and we did it so that it will also be easy to take down. With the ply wood hinged, it will either be up as the broody condo roof or it will be down blocking off those unused nest boxes.
    We'll be crossing our fingers too! This week should be it... the hatch day should be Friday or Saturday, if it's going to happen. [​IMG]

5. GuineaMama

GuineaMama Out Of The Brooder

This is really neat! We are in the process of building a new coop and I was trying to explain something just like you have done to my husband last night. We currently have 2 broody Silkies in a small enclosure inside our big pen but when the new coop is done I'd like something in there.

6. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    [​IMG] I stayed up untill 2am this morning trying redesine my coop! Not trying to make a seperate area like yours, but I had extra room that I was able to put something like that in. I am so excited, I will start on it in the next two weeks. Have a lot of other stuff to do as well. I will post before and after pics when I am done!

7. chicharomirinda

chicharomirinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    good idea! I'm going to do something similar to brood chicks in part of my coop. Love the plywood on hinges.

8. Srucon

Srucon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Washington State
    That is a very clever idea and a very nice coop! I need something like that, as I am desperate for broodies, so, of course, none of mine would THINK of it...
    Good job and thanks for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by