New broody gets help from friends

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pullet2hen, Dec 7, 2008.

1. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    I was so excited this morning to find my sweet pepper sitting on her egg. All the others were walking around her "talking" to her like they couldn't under stand what was up. She kept yelling at them. So one at a time they layed an egg next to her and she would tuck it under her with her beak. HOW CUTE IS THAT! So there she sat on 7 eggs for what I know of about six hours. When she got up to eat I ran out with my marker to make sure only that 7 stay. Well..... that was an hour ago and she has not gone back. She is only 6 months old and has been laying just a few weeks. Could she be too young to understand and abandoned the eggs?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes, she's young and somtimes young pullets dont make the best of sitters.

What breed is she ??

Maybe she wasnt even broody, who knows somtimes with the weired things chickens do !!

3. pullet2hen

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Don't know what she is, here is a picture. We decided to take the eggs.

[​IMG]

4. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Maybe a partridge rock? I'm completely guessing here...so don't take my word for it. She's beautiful, whatever she is.

When my pullet first went broody, she did sit for a day then get off. She came back for another try the next day and sat a little longer, then got off again. There were a few days of this before she finally committed to sitting. She didn't hatch very many, though, so you're probably right to take the eggs.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  5. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:THAT is creepy. She looks like a single-combed version of my hen!
    [​IMG]
    She's the one in front of the Black Minorca.

Mine's a Light Brahma (cock) x Black Australorp (hen). Same colored leg as yours and no feathers on the leg. Creepy!

6. pullet2hen

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    twins [​IMG]

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    She's really pretty! They really do look like twins!

On the topic of a young pullet setting, Gypsy wasn't much older than 6 months with her first hatch. She is on her second at 8-9 months. She had not laid eggs for very long when she got maternal instincts. She's a really good mama hen. She has 12 eggs due and I hope to give her more out of the bator when they hatch.

When I got new hens and the others started to lay, Millie, my RIR, would lay her egg then go back a while later and sit there for a while. Then, get off the nest and announce the egg. My gram said it was because she forgot to announce it the first time. [​IMG] I think she just didn't want everyone using "her" nestbox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by