New Broody Hutch - pix inside

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NellaBean, May 19, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I got bored one night and decided to build a little 2x4 coop. It was mostly me testing out a different way of building (building panels instead of framing and then siding)........ended up changing the design around a bit, raised it up and put a mesh top on it and made a Broody Hutch. I have two broody hens who stay in those litterboxes underneath during the day.....but I have to move them at night to somewhere secure. THey aren't actually sitting on eggs.....obviously, since I move them off the nest....I plan on making up two nice hay nests and give them some eggs in the broody hutch to see if they will settle in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left the top mesh as it is in the front open area of my garage and so is covered. And this way, I have the option of putting a heat lamp above if I was using it as a regular baby brooder instead. Plus heat can rise out, etc etc.

BTW, it actually is level....it has a piece of wood under one leg only because the ground is not level in there...it slopes down.

2. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    looks great!! nice job!!

3. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Nicely done. A number of possibilities for that hutch. I think I need one of those, maybe two.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Nice job!

What I did with my broodies was let them set in plastic lidded storage bins and a covered litterbox. Then at night I moved the plastic boxes with the hens and their eggs still in them into a secure coop. During the day, it got too hot in the coop to leave the hens in there, so in the morning I'd move the boxes with the chickens still in them back out into the run. They shrieked a little at me at first, but soon got used to the routine, and none of the hens budged off her nest.

It was very convenient. I love moveable nestboxes!

5. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    That would work for me except the boxes they want to sit in are up the hill and around the fenceline from my coop.....in the front of my garage. It would be a pretty decent hike carrying them LOL. It can also be used as an iso hutch, rooster rehab, baby brooder, etc etc. Being raised up it doesn't hurt my back and is high enough I can fit the litterboxes underneath, OR tubs for food storage.

6. Prodigal son

Prodigal son Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    High Plains
    That's nice-looking work and a darned good idea. (I make my living driving nails so I appreciate good craftmanship) I'm going to have to build a few myself.

7. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    These would be great to house my Serama in, great job..and thanks for the idea.

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I need to get brave enough and try to build something like that! It looks great!

9. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Well, it is definitely getting a workout!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very angry broodies. Three of them are first timers. Not sure on the barred cochin....I have 3 of them, and 1 was already broody. Not sure if this is the same one or not.

I leave the doors open during the day so they can go out to poop and stretch their legs....and have two cat litter boxes in front, to use as steps to get back in. Will build them a ramp tomorrow. I have the eggs all marked, as some of the other hens are opportunistic and will hop in to lay eggs of their own, so I go through them daily to check. At night, I lock the doors up tight so they are safe from predators.

It's working well!! I think I am going to build a second one, so I can split the girls into two pairs.

Last edited: May 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by