1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new brown leghorn's deformed feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeviParker, Jan 11, 2014.

1. LeviParker

LeviParker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Oklahoma
    i got two new brown leghorn hens and one of them has deformed feet. her toes curve to the sides. i have heard of chicks having feet problems.. did she and the previous owner not do anything?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is fairly common, and is usually hereditary, although many will tell you that uneven incubator temperature can cause it. Most of these chickens live fairly normal lives, but sometimes they have trouble grasping a round roost at night. The flat side of a 2X4 makes a better roost. Also you may occasionally have to trim their nails. Please don't breed them, or you will probably get more crooked toes. If you tape them by a couple of days old, sometimes you can fix them.

3. LeviParker

LeviParker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Oklahoma
    oh i see! i have 2x4 roosts!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    2x4 roosts are better at preventing frostbite this time of year than smaller round ones. I have a couple of hens with crooked toes and they do fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by