New Buckling Issues Continued - He Didn't Make it

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Broke Down Ranch, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    So I am at a loss here. I have tried everything. He just went downhill so fast I don't think it was a matter of him not eating. I called the breeder and he said perhaps to give him a mineral oil enema since the little guy hasn't pooped since we picked him up on Thursday. So I did and with a little squeezing I was able to get some poop from him. Seemed like a decent amount and a little on the hard side. Yellowish. So I'm thinking this will help, he needs to rest, gave him some electrolytes before going to bed. This morning he is no better, actually seems worse and will not even try to chew on the nipple when I put it in his mouth. He is totally unresponsive. I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose him but I'm not giving up until he either gives up or gets better......

I hear his guts groaning like he needs to poop - is this good or bad? He seems to be breathing a bit slow. Should I try to tube-feed him some electrolytes? Exactly HOW do I tube-feed a baby goat?? Should I try the soapy water enema to see if he is just bound up? If yes, how much soap and how much water? I don't have any probios, b-complex's or antibiotics.....

I just don't see how he can go from normal to totally not there in such a short time. Can being constipated cause them to go downhill so fast? Or do you think it IS floppy kid syndrome? We can't afford to go buy anything simply because we just don't have any money. Literally. Please, any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Constipation will and can kill them. I use the soapy water enema or the fleet baby enemas...get him cleaned out and what is his temp? Is his mouth cold? He needs food fast and warm milk heated to 102 which is their normal body temp. Dont feed a cold kid tillt he temp is back up. What were you feeding him ? I feed either goats milk or cows milk mixed with goats milk. I would use a bulb sysringe or a syringe without a needle and would use warm water and a few squirts of soap...not the antibacterial type. I use the plain Ivory liquid soap for my babies whne this happens. Squeeze slowly and then stand back. I use about 6 to 8 cc's of water per enema. If he is this backed up he wont be hungry and will have a bad tummy ache. Good luck and let us know...

3. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Quote:I completely agree with everything!!

Please let us know how he is doing!! [​IMG]

4. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    OK, I just gave him a soapy water enema. I only have Dawn so had to use what was on hand. I used warm water and a decent squirt of soap and injected one of those meat-injector tubes full of liqiud into him. Very little came back out. Do I wait and let it work or do I "assist" and help to squeeze it back out?

His mouth does feel cold and he is not really swallowing voluntarily. Since I used the warm enema first now I can't take his temp [​IMG] . If he is constipated should I be giving him milk or just try to get some electrolytes down him again?

5. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Thank you everyone for your advice.

He didn't make it....

6. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Sorry for your loss.
    Christie [​IMG]

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am so sorry! What an awful thing to have happened. [​IMG]

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I am so sorry you lost him...its heartbreaking when you lose them after fighting for them...may he rest now at Rainbow Bridge...he is playing now and in no pain... [​IMG]

9. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    You did your best. Sorry he didn't make it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by