1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I just inherited a pair of bright yellow budgies, the original owner had alschimers, so i suspect they haven't had much socializing, the relatives just wanted a home for them, the cage was deep in hulls, couldn't get the bottom to slide out to transfered them to another cage- will post pics soon, is there anything i need to do to help socialize them?

2. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I will assume that the birds were most likely not handfed.You can always try,but most grown birds that were not handfed,or handled alot when they were young will ever tame down.When my birds have young ones,i let them raise them.But,when they turn 2 weeks old i start to handle them about 10 minutes a day till they are grown. They usually are very tame by the time they are weaned.You can give it a shot,but i'am being real honest with you so that you will not be too disapointed if they don't tame.I have had birds for many years and have had little success taming grown birds that haven't been handled as youngsters.If you have the time,and i mean ALOT of time you might get them some what tame.Search the web for more information,there are plenty of parakeet websites out there.Take care.Good luck.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Thanks, they are pretty, and when i moved them back into their original cage after cleaning it they got all excited- i'll just let them set the pace, i have a cockatiel rescue, he is not comfortable being handled, so we respect that- i am sure life has been very confusing for them, i have no idea on ages either- the female is a bit more tame than the male

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Kennyog

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Very pretty birds.Love the yellow budgies! Maybe you can breed them and raise your own tame babies.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    They seem a bit more relaxed today- from a life of isolation to a house full of birds! LOL! In the living room next to them is a one winged blue jay, 2 starlings and a cockatiel, so i suspect they'll do alot of watching...i was thinking about that possibility, once they are settled i may get them a nest box, but want to get them on a healthy diet and some security in their little world first.

6. Kennyog

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Quote:Yes,i would let them settle in and put them on a very good diet if you are going to breed them.If you get them a nest box,make sure it has a concave in the bottom.

7. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They are Beautiful! [​IMG]

I had Budgies when I was younger and I am now getting the Budgie Bug again! [​IMG]

I had a blue & white male a white female and a yellow female. I miss them [​IMG]

8. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I do believe that you will have a hard time getting those two to produce any offspring... they are both males ( blue ceres indicates male, tan or brown cere indicates female).

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i wonder if the fluffed up one is younger? i didn't notice the blue on that one till you mentioned it? Here are a few more shots- i have them in a quiet room, my art studio, and a desklamp next to the cage to keep them warm, they now have grit, cuttlebone, vitamins and general antibiotics, and the fluffy one is showing a little more reaction too, so hopefully with time she/he will pull out of it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by