New Buff Orpington Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CONTONHOOTCH, Oct 31, 2009.

1. CONTONHOOTCH

CONTONHOOTCH Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2009
    We recently purchased a 7 mo old BO Rooster. He has not started to crow yet but everytime my husband goes into the coop to get the eggs from the nests, the roo starts pecking at him. Any reason why this could be happening to him. When I go into the coop, the Roo just runs outside clucking alot but does not peck at me. Also, does anyone have any insite on this type of Roo's behavior patterns and what we should be looking forward to?[​IMG]

2. Rhawn

Rhawn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Maybe its a male thing?

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    By 7 mos, most roos hve already started crowing but there are always the late bloomers, I had a BA roo one time that I didn't think would ever start crowing.
    I also purcaced a Buff Orp roo that ended up being very aggressive, I broke him from it grabbing him and pinning him and kind of fighting him, but don't kick at him or anything the way another rooster would do if they were really fighting bc their natural instinct would be to fight back that way, just pin him down and ruff him up a little to show him who's boss and he should quit being aggressive. But "behavior patterns" will vary from bird to bird.

4. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    He is trying to show off for the girls. I have Black Orp cockerel doing the same thing. They'll do it once and a while. I just pick him up and hold him for a while. And he thinks twice about it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by