New build questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Timskins, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Timskins

Timskins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Surprise, Az
    Im starting to plan my coop and I always have new questions popping into my head so I figured I would start a thread with questions and hopefully get some "experts" subscribed to help me out along the way.

First my plan: I am in the Phoenix Az area (think hot). I am starting with 8 chickens and am thinking of an 8x8 coop with attached run about 8x10. The coop will be raised off the ground. I am going to put the coop on 4x4 posts sitting on top of concrete footers.

First question. How tall does the inside of the coop need to be? I am figuring 2 roosts, a lower and upper against one wall that span the full width.

Second question. For the run, I was thinking of pouring a concrete footing to frame on top of. I thought this would help with preventing anything from crawling under and it would keep the wood off of the dirt, but leave the rest of the floor dirt for the birds. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Not sure on the roosts mine are only 18 inches off the floor, they don't complain. The run I've seen people use cinder blocks filled with cement then the run on top of that, makes a good bed for sand if you have considered using that in the run, very easy to clean and no smell.Just an idea

3. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

The height of the roosts depends on the size and flight capability of your hens. Large breeds need lower roosts and small and bantams, the roosts can be higher. Also, being in Arizona.. you might consider not raising you coop and having the floor open to the ground. This way you will take advantage of the cooler ground. Lastly, I am not sure where in Arizona you are, but you may consider an open air coop with a roof and the only non-fence wall facing the prevailing winds and weather. If you take some time you will find a few threads about open air coops in hot climates. Good luck to you.

4. jksranch

jksranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Streetman, Texas
    I'm in Texas it is hot. My coops a pole barn. solid wall to the north east and west ends also solid. south side is open to the run the chickens stay cooler that way.[​IMG]

5. Timskins

Mar 17, 2013
    Surprise, Az
    Good ideas, thanks.
    So kinda like a shoe box on its side is what I'm picturing? Do you have a roof over part of the coop or run, and what did you do for roosts? I kinda want a roof over the run and everything for more shade.

6. Timskins

Mar 17, 2013
    Surprise, Az
    Well I officially broke ground. Quite a pain getting everything, square, level and at the right height. Staying with the elevated coop but have gone with a more open design on the coop for ventilation.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by