new bunnies with jelly poop

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sherrihargrove, Feb 1, 2017.

1. sherrihargrove

sherrihargrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    I got 2 new zealand bunnies 4 days ago they are 2 months old. today when I cleaned the tray i saw a few berries but mostly jelly blobs. I have no idea what this is unless the move and food change might be the reason. ADVICE PLEASE.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Most likely they are completely normal cecotropes. It's a type of poo the is produced once a day, and is usually eaten to help replenish gut bacteria. Lots of hay helps aid digestion.

3. sherrihargrove

sherrihargrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    Thanks...they have a full hay feeder and I hope you are right this makes me crazy.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could be cecotrophes, though I wouldn't be surprised if the move stressed them out a little and is causing some digestive problems. It is good that you're offering them hay; that is the best thing for digestive health. Just make sure all of them are eating, drinking, and acting normally otherwise.

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with both @junebuggena and @BantamLover21 . I saw something similar (their poop looked slightly "melty") when I brought my Silver Foxes home - they spent over an hour in the car (their first car ride), came to a new and strange place, began eating new food. After a few days, their poop was back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by