1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New bunny....I have questions...I need pics of your setup...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PIO-PIO, Sep 8, 2009.

1. PIO-PIO

PIO-PIO Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    POINCIANA, FL
    okay so my children wanted a new pet since their guinea pig passed away last easter. I had bunnies as a kid but that was awhile ago [​IMG] .so I had been looking at rabbits. seems like a double plus for me, the kids get a new pet and I get the bunny poop for the garden (my underlying motive [​IMG] ).
    So this is Pancake. I bought her off craigslist. The pics are the ones the other people took. they kept her in the cage in the house in a empty room!! [​IMG] her nails were sooo long. thats the first thing I had to take care of. we try to give her veggie treats but she wont touch them, almost like she doesnt know anything beyond pellets. she also freaked when we put her in grass. Its just sad that a bunny wont eat a carrot or stretch out in the grass. we are working on all this. [​IMG]

The cage is a actually a good size. she is outside now. I removed all the bedding from the wired part and placed a little bit in the house area. the wired area drops down into a litter pan. wouldnt it be better if I removed the litter pan and just let the droppings fall to the ground and then collected them from there? it seems like it would be more sanitary. I mean the litter pan is just that, a plastic tray that is holding even the urine.

also~ I never had 1 rabbit alone, are they ok being alone or better to have a buddy?
    we've had her for about 3 weeks now. any suggestions would be heard
    also I am such a visual person. any pic of your bunny setup would help me out alot!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    We have one of our rabbits in a set up exactly like that. The cage is in my boys' room. We put litter in the pull out pan that way it keeps the odor at bay as well as absorbs the urine. I wouldn't worry about the bunny not eating a carrot or not wanting to stretch out in the grass. It probably has never been exposed to either. My rabbits do not eat carrots. The have their pellets, timothy hay, raspberry/blackberry leaves, and occasionally some dried bread pieces. Good luck!
    Also I could clip the nails once a month. It doesn't need a buddy as long as it has interaction. Without knowing if you are planning on making this an indoor or outdoor rabbit, you can potty train it too so if you plan on letting out in the house during the day you won't have to worry about cleaning up messes left and right.

3. PIO-PIO

Mar 27, 2009
    POINCIANA, FL
    she is actually outside already. cage and all. the kids spend more time in the backyard than inside so its perfect having her outside near the garden. I want to convert the cage to work better being outside, it just doesnt seem like the tray is working very well. she's still very skittish with us, I dont think she had any interaction before or at least for a long time. she wont take anything from us. she is only used to timothy hay since that was her bedding in the house area before. now its in a wire box. she's just not what I remember my bunny experience being like when I had them before. [​IMG]

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Hopefully in time she will warm up to your kids. Sometimes they never do. We've had one of our Netherland Dwarfs for almost a year now and she is still skiddish. That doesn't stop us from holding her though and trying to warm her up. Maybe with more interaction yours will come around. I think most people get a rabbit thinking it will be a great pet only to find out that it's not going to be as affectionate as say a dog or cat. Do you know if this was an only rabbit or did they use her to breed?

5. PIO-PIO

Mar 27, 2009
    POINCIANA, FL
    this was the only one. he said he got her as a baby about 2 years ago for his kids but they dont care about her. she has had no interaction beside them changing the food. she was just shut in this little room and left.

my kids sit in the yard with her and try. hopefully time will help, im just glad she's with us now.

6. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have 2 rabbits, both neutered males, one is extremely friendly and the other is very stand-offish. He's never been a people person, probably never will be [​IMG]

IMO, my rabbits enjoy being together, even though they don't get along (make sense? [​IMG]). Your rabbit might enjoy a buddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by