New Bunny! (Pics) Some questions too...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...And a HUGE one too!

I went to a local auction today, not expecting to bring anything home, and ended up bringing a 12 pound rabbit back! She is absolutely adorable, and a real sweetie!

I wasn't sure of the breed, but after looking through some pictures, it looks like she is a definite french lop. She has long floppy ears and she is a broken brown and white color. HUGE, but mostly fur. At first I though Flemish Giant, but she looks nothing like one after all.

She fits perfectly into the hutch, as I was worried it would be too small! I have no idea how old she is, but she appears to be very healthy, with nice, bright, clean eyes, a very clean rear end, and nice feet. Looks like she was someone's pet. She even has a tattoo in her ear. I will be showing her in the local 4-H fair, but mostly just for fun. I have a jersey woolie buck and he never wins, but he is a great pet.

I am very happy with her and happy that she won't end up as someone's dinner! She was just too sweet to pass up, even though I didn't really want another rabbit! Does anyone else have a french lop? I will try to post pics tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I dont have that breed, but i just got a new holland lop (4 wks old) on Sat. and so i share in your excitement [​IMG]
    You going to post a pic?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  3. MissDeb

MissDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Mat-su Alaska
    chickerdoodle,

if you give me her tat and what state your in, I may be able to get more information on her for you.

Deb

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That would be awesome!

We think it says M0004, but I will have to go down and check it once more. I was a little unsure about the last number. We are in NJ.

I have no idea if she was a show rabbit, or is even show quality, but she will make a great pet! It would be interesting to know more about her though.

5. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i had a french lop and i loved her. she was so cute. she sounds adorable. i have two french lop babies left from her and i can't wait till they are big. they are alot of rabbit. congrats. post a picture.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Miss Deb, I forgot to say that even though I am in NJ, she is originally from Connecticut.

I took a few pictures this morning. I hope you like her! Also, any info as to breed, quality (If purebred), etc would be wonderful! I spent some time with her today and she is so sweet once I catch her. She is very large though, so it can be awkward holding her! Compared to my little jersey wooly, she is a mammoth! I decided to name her Maya.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MissDeb

MissDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Mat-su Alaska
    I'll see what I can find out. I traced a tat a few years ago on a rescue and came up with the breeder and how old she was. But thats about all she could tell me about her.

She is a pretty girl though! Nothing like a wonderful big lovable bunny! I like em big [​IMG]

8. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    oh she is so pretty. i want her!! one of my babies from my lop will look just like that oneonly less solid colored ares. very cute.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

She's beautiful Chicker!
    Good save!

My sister's bunny is humungous too. I don't know what breed he is though...
    I know that one of the bunny suppliers tattoo their stock.

10. kindergartenchick

kindergartenchick New Egg

Jun 29, 2008
    rockmart georgia
    Beautiful rabbit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by