NEW BUSINESS PLAN!!!!

broilerhatcher

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
brits,south africa,
My Coop
My Coop
HI GUYS I SAT AND THINKED ...WHY NOT RAISE BROILER CHICKS AND SELL THEM .I KNOW IM NOT THE FIRST PERSON TO THINK ABOUT THAT BUT IIT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD INVESTMENT.RIGHT, NOW I JUST WANT TO KNOW FROM YOU IF IT REALLY IS A GOOD INVESTMENT AND WHAT IS NEEDED TO BEGIN AND HOW TO KEEP GOING!!!(NOTE :I'M IN SOUTH AFRICA)

I don't know about the current economics or chicks' costs , their housing costs, feed costs , labor costs, utility prices, processing costs, transportation costs, selling prices for chickens or even needed profit to stay in business and provide you and your family with income in S. Africa , but here in the US, unless you raise hundreds / thousands of chickens at the same time with housing in place,and have a contract price for their feed , labor. slaughter, shipping AND marketing ... I would think again !.

Last edited:
I can buy a 5 lb broiler at the supermarket (if I catch the sales) for $5.

Broiler chicks are about $2 each. The roughly 15lbs of food it takes to get a bird to 5lbs costs me roughly $4.20, and that's ignoring housing costs, grit, lights, distribution, markups, etc. It's just not viable unless you have enough birds that you can receive feed by the truckload, and order it dozens of tons at a time.

Unless you're trying to sell to the Portlandia type who is willing to pay $8-10/lb for a chicken that is free range, organic, sustainable, and has achieved spiritual enlightenment, there's no real money to be made without lots of birds. In my area, there are way too many people with livestock for anyone to even think about paying $50+ for a broiler.

Back
Top Bottom