New but dirty chicks - Advice??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by taprock, Aug 2, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Just picked up some new small chicks, not sure how old but feathered out. They are dirty and smelly. Can I give small chicks a bath? Also how long should I keep them separate - not coming from the best conditions. I've heard a month and don't think I can do that long. Any idea on how long most disease incubation is? They are some cute chicks!

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

A couple of my chicks had really bad pasty butts from being shipped and I put each in a cup of warm water and they seemed to like it. It was very warm in the house that day, so I just wrapped them in a paper towel to soak up as much water as I could, then put them in the brooder still wet. They dried in just a couple of minutes. Some people blow them dry, but I didn't want to scare them.

I am not an expert, but I was just reading an article in this month's Backyard Poultry about what can happen if you do not quarantine new birds. You could lose all your other chickens. The new chicks will be bringing in all kinds of organisms that you don't have in your chickens quarters. I would be especially careful with chicks that are dirty and smelly.

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Always Always Always. Quarantine any new chickens for 30 days. Even chicks unless they came from a hatchery. Especially dirty smelly ones. Otherwise your putting your whole flock at risk.

4. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Oh ! Great info for everyone. Thanks

5. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    I had a pasty chick too. I washed it with warm water and then dried it a little with my blow dryer on cool air on the lowest setting. I held it in a towel for a little bit and then put it back out with Mama. They'll take care of the rest by doing their little preening thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by