New, but not.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gamblegirl, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Gamblegirl

Gamblegirl In the Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Hi Everyone, :frow
    I've been here a little while, found BYC when I first "found" a chook and needed help and advice. Since then I've been flat-out learning everything I can about chickens. Back again for more advice, but thought I should take the time for proper a introduction.
    I only have 3 hens, one ISA Brown "Clux" that I saved and saved me :) (I had lost my little girldog to cancer and didn't think I could ever have another pet - wrong) and another two Australorps that I got for company for the first.
    Clux is a bird-dog - she follows me everywhere, comes when called - runs if you make kiss sounds - she knows that means worms, "talks" when spoken to. She's head hen and doesn't mess about. My avian vet says she's a real one of a kind. Kippykip (BA) is a real darling - sweet tempered, and seems to be Clux's second in command. Sally, the other BA, is a real rascal and a little bit dumb lol She's always in trouble with Clux, but it doesn't seem to bother her. She'll still try and steal worms out of Clux's mouth. I call her the Bart Simpson of the flock.
    As much as I want more chickens, I'll stick with the three I have for now. They have a coop that was advertised to hold 6 to sleep and lay eggs in, and they free range all day in my back yard. I have two areas sectioned off that I plant wheat grass in for them and they alternate on that - as all grass was gone within a year!
    I love gardening in my free time, so the chooks and I are good friends. Have just discovered Chalk Paint, so have taken to scouring the op-shops for furniture to paint.
    I'm mum to a teenage boy, and carer for my Mum who suffered a stroke 12 years ago.
    I live in Perth, Australia (Straya ;) )
    L.G.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Joeschooks, rjohns39, 007Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. Gamblegirl

Sep 6, 2016
    Thank you very much :thumbsup

4. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Sounds like a great little flock!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you're here!

5. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Welcome to BYC!!

6. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

It sounds like you're really enjoying your birds...it's fun to discover their personalities, isn't it.

Thanks for joining us!

7. Gamblegirl

Sep 6, 2016
    I had no idea chickens had such different personalities. I've had friends visit for the first time after I got them, that looked at me with the suspicion that I'd gone crazy - but by the time they leave they're as fascinated as I am, telling me that if reincarnation is a real thing, then Clux was a dog in a previous life lol

I normally log on to Farcebook at the end of the day for a half hour scroll and to check messages - I can see that falling by the wayside, and I'll be popping in here daily instead. Glad to be here.

8. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    A special hello to the land down under!:frow

9. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Chickens are such individuals! If you sit long enough you’ll know each one simply by how they move and you’ll learn to speak their language. I can alert my rooster of a predator in the sky!

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: