New BYC Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MamaRedStar0119, Nov 4, 2016.

1. MamaRedStar0119

MamaRedStar0119 New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    Hi! My name is Laura, I live in Ontario Canada, and I'm new to owning chickens. I have two very happy (and very vocal) sex-links and we plan on adding two more to our flock. During the day, they have full access to a good-sized run, and they free range when I get home and on the weekends. Their coop is almost done being prepped for winter, but if any of my fellow Canadians could let me know where they get grit (or what they use for grit) for their chickens it would be hugely appreciated! With snow coming eventually and the days getting shorter, they won't be able to free range as often and will need a dish of grit in their coop.

Below are pictures of my chicken coop: One at night with the lights on (they're LED and don't produce heat), and the second is during the day. Don't mind the Santa Claus tin, it's their water heater!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Laura, welcome to BYC.

3. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you could join us, I love your coop! You can connect with fellow Canadians in this link, and ask winter questions to folks experiencing similar weather conditions and such. Well, nevermind, my tablet just decided it was going for a stroll and taking half its brains with it and won't let me paste the links. Hopefully @redsoxs will read my mind and give you the ones I was planning on giving you. Lol I hope you enjoy BYC!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Laura, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Glad you joined our community! Here is the link CuzChickens mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/144/canadians-check-in-here
    In terms of grit, I assume Canadian chickens are just like chickens everywhere and grit is grit - mostly it's just sand - anything that can be used in the gizzard to grind up their food. As a chicken newbie, here's a link to the Learning Center - it is loaded with useful articles on all aspects of chicken keeping. It is a must reading! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. MamaRedStar0119

MamaRedStar0119 New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    Thanks everyone for being so welcoming! :)

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by