New BYC who needs help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mcalderonv, Feb 13, 2015.

1. mcalderonv

mcalderonv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    Hello,

My name is Migdalia, people call me Megan. I am new to "homesteading" I mean I've been a mom and a wife for years now but in the last 5 years I have started gardening and trying to preserve my own foods along with baking my own goods. I have purchased some chickens in November from a person who claimed to be a breader and I thought he knew what he was doing so I asked him for some baby chicks that would eventually be my laying hens, the chicks he sold me were 15 bucks a pop and all roosters, not sure what to do now, I am not allowed to have roosters in my Brooklyn back yard. If anyone can help of has a suggestion, I can give you the roosters for FREE no exchange, no money I just want them to have a good home.

Now back to me...I wanted to learn about chickens when I got my chicks so I know what to feed them so I ended up here. I have not given up on having my own hens but I guess you live and learn, next time, I will go to a reputable placed to purchase where they know how to "sex" chicks after I called that guy back he didn't even want to hear about the roosters, he didn't care.

If you care, please let me know what you think I should do.

Thanks,

M.

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome. What breed of chickens? ALL roosters? I can see straight run being half or a little over but if all were roosters, someone was able to sex them. Finding homes for that many roosters in Brooklyn is going to be difficult at best. You can advertise and see what happens. Even people who raise chickens don't want an overabundance of roosters.
    If you go to buy babies, your best source would probably be a hatchery or feed store, where peeps can be sexed usually to a 90-95 % accuracy. If you want to be sure of getting all girls you can get sex links (Each sex is different at hatching) or an autosexing breed like legbars or welsumers which also can be distinguished upon hatching. My guess is you got the male portion of a sex link hatch.

3. DRGLENNON

DRGLENNON Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    I'm sorry you had this problem. There is a place ads for re homing in the buy-sell-trade forum. photos may help

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience buying "laying hens"![​IMG] You may be able to find some homes for your birds by posting in the Buy-Sell-Trade section, though you'll need to have 20 posts or more in order to post there: Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade

I hope you can find some homes for them![​IMG]

6. mcalderonv

Jan 7, 2015
    I only have two roosters. I really need to know what to do with them before the summer.

7. mcalderonv

Jan 7, 2015
    Thanks I did place an add on the sell-buy-trade section.

8. mcalderonv

Jan 7, 2015
    I tried to post on the buy-sell-trade, I hope it went through.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You should need 20 posts before you can put up an Ad in the BST section.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some sellers will take roosters back and exchange for' hopefully female' chicks. Obviously the guy you had won't do a thing& greatly overcharged you. What a creep!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by