New BYC'er in Long Island... such a roller-coaster ride

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by butterfieldcoop, Sep 19, 2012.

1. butterfieldcoop

butterfieldcoop New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Huntington, NY
    Hello BYC...

Back in July, we placed our order from MPC and on Aug 1, we took delivery of day-old chicks
    - barred plymouth rock "Midnight"
    - buff-laced polish "Daisy"
    - easter-egger "Penny"
    - black australorp "Happy Feet"
    From day-1, they were all amazing and we all fell in love quickly... including my daughter (age 6) and sons (ages 10 and 12)...

We also ordered the MPC "Clubhouse Coop and Run"... which my son built inside of a 10ftx20ft chain-link-fenced area in our back-yard. The fence is 6 feet high.

After about a month - we sent our amazing little birds out of the kitchen - and into the fresh air of their coop. All was good. During the day, we would let them out of the coop so they could roam free in the 10x20 area... and when we were present in the yard - we would let them free-range.

It didn't take us long to realize that the MPC-pre-fab coop wasn't the best... but we thought it was good enough for at least a few years... and didn't mind the fact that we had to reinforce a screw here and there... When we knew a big rain-storm was coming, we came up with a way to hang a big blue tarp - using bamboo poles across the fenced area - like a makeshift rain-fly. All was well.

Then last night - tragedy struck. A very windy/rainy storm hit Long Island... This morning we found only the "Happy Feet" had survived. The others all met their doom at the hands of some predator... probably a raccoon. The special unfolding roof must have been the perfect entry way... perhaps it was blown open by the wind. We will never know.

We all cried this morning - 9/19 will always be remembered at the ButterfieldCoop as a bad day... I am very proud of my kids for making it to school on time even though they were crushed. My wife and I (mostly her) cleaned up the carnage (looked like a crime scene to me) and got the coop ready for our traumatized survivor. Most of the day was spent with her - giving hugs, feeding treats, naps in our arms, etc. - to try to ease her pain. If we left her alone, she seemed to cry out for her friends. When the kids got home from school, we buried our dead in a remote part of the yard and said our goodbyes.

Now, we are engaged in what we think is a critical mission to find companionship for our lone chick. A craigslist ad in Northern Westchester appears to be the answer we are looking for... we will see. They are selling 8-week old pullets - including some "Red Comets" that have caught our eye. They are also offering Australorps, Barred Rocks, We are thinking of just getting one more... since the coop is pretty small for 4 birds.

Oh - and we added secured straps to the Clubhouse Coop so that the roof won't blow open... or be opened by a raccoon.

Please reply with any advice or support you think is appropriate. We appreciate that you all are out there.

Thanks

Butterfield Coop folk....

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, butterfieldcoop, and [​IMG]! Wow! That is a tragedy! [​IMG]I'm sorry for your loss and hope you locate some companions for the one chick. Good luck to you!

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Aww I am so sorry for your lossIt is so hard to lose chickies. :hugs

Predators are very crafty beings. Hope you have luck with your new chick. And if the predators have been there once they may very well come back. Build a fence around it like Fort Knox.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] . So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC, So Sorry for your loss[​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

I have to agree, a good fence around the coop is much safer - and go around your coop with a fine tooth comb, looking for any weak areas.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I would think about keeping your one chick inside for a while in a dog kennel. A fence around the whole coop would have to be 1/2 inch hardware cloth to keep predators out and also buried 6 inches deep. And the top would have to be covered too. I will have to check that and BRB.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
  9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry for your loss :hugs

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. So sorry for your loss. It is a shame that we have to build our coops not only to keep our pets in but more importantly to keep the predators out. Good luck. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by