1. gibson84

gibson84 New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Hello,

New to chickens and have had my first 2 pullets for a month now. Went with a 12 week old red sex-link, and a 20 week old barred rock, and so far both are doing great. I've got a big back yard, and a garden area fenced off from the dogs, area is about 700 sq foot, and in this area I have the chickens and their coop. I opted to let them free range the fenced area, and if they start munching on too much of my garden i'll consider a run area.

Coop is overkill for my 2, but had fun building it from an idea in my head. Went with a wire floor that i can put a bottom in if I run into any issues, but since they range free, they don't spend much time on the wire.

Anyhow, no eggs yet, but hoping for some soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Cute coop! Your pullets should start laying soon! Make sure the nests are built and have fake eggs with lots of comfy bedding.

Glad you joined!

3. gibson84

gibson84 New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    I've got about 4 inches of hay in the boxes now, but no fake eggs.. I've got some pinpong balls i can throw in there though

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to chicken world!

You need some ventilation in there and some windows for light.
    Is that roof waterproof?

What kind of climate do you live in?
    You can put your location in your profile.

5. gibson84

gibson84 New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Austin, Tx location, and roof is water proof.

Vent holes are coming soon, as well as a window once I decide where to put it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by