1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New cabinet incubator-- lots of eggs to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by retiredwithchicks, Nov 7, 2009.

1. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    OK, been incubating for about 6-8 months and had some good hatches and some bad hatches. Lately they have been really bad. My dear son got me a new Sportsman 1502 for my birthday last month. WOW! Did he get it for me or himself. Doesn't matter we now have 40 of our eggs in the thing (Oct. 31), 2 dozen dominiques + some of our eggs (Nov. 5), SLW due to arrive next week, RIR to arrive next week. SO, for the next few weeks will hopefully be hatching lots of chicks. Hope to take several of you on my journey. Next week will be filled with building a new brooder. I have a brooder that I use after about 2 weeks, an old smoke house, but need something to use with the newborns.

What will I do with all these chickens this winter if I have a great hatch? Oh, BTW, I may be moving in a couple of months.

I get to candle in the next day or two. HURRAY!

God bless and have a great day.

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    good luck on your hatches keep us posted

3. retiredwithchicks

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    OH it is hatch day for the first batch. Of the 40 eggs 38 were put in the hatcher. I have chicks playing leap frog all over that hatcher box. Can't wait until tomorrow night to maybe take them out. I see chicks of all colors and are they loud. This seems to be the best percentage I have ever gotten before. The Sportsman may be my miracle for hatching. We take out chicks tomorrow night and put more eggs in the hatcher on Monday. We also have about 2 dozen we have saved of the full blooded black austrolorp, delawares, and buff orpingtons to add for a 5th hatch. We must be crazy. Figure they will be good size to sell in spring. I can keep some of them to supplement my flock (like I need to do that). Life would be so much easier without this addiction but I love it. Maybe can add pics on Monday.

4. retiredwithchicks

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    Putting this post in two different places as I like to follow thread with others hatching.

OH BOY! I have 36 babies this morning. First time ever for a 95% hatch rate. This new Sportsman is the thing! We took them out this morning and only had 2 that didn't hatch. When I left for church then work they were all just fine. Hopefully they will be good late tonight when I return. There were 10 austrolorps and rest are designer from RIR, leghorn, white rock, EE, buff, etc. All appeared healthy. Will post pics tomorrow when have time to actually make some.

Put more in hatcher to hatch mid week. These are dominiques and can't wait for them to hatch. We also added some more of our eggs which will be our last bunch for a while (black austrolorp, buff orpinton, delaware). So, dominiques on Wed., heritage RIR next Monday, SLW next Thursday, and the ones we put in today down the road.

Should be around 100 chicks altogether. What in the world to do with them this winter??? That will make me have between 150-175 chickens when this is over. This old girl has got to sit down and make a plan to downsize! I love to hatch. Only if I can find a market for them this spring.

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    95%!!!! [​IMG] Hope I get that with my Brinsea! Congrats to you and a big hug to your son for enabling your addiction! [​IMG] My son, on the other hand won't touch a chicken! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Fabulous!!! Congratulations!

7. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    That is awesome! I love my Sportsman too. I fiddle with the temp a bit on much warmer/cooler days, but my room temp is not terribly stable either. I just bought another one today, gasp, paid WAY more than my original one, now I have to decide if I should keep it or sell it.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    With a Sportsman...what is the "hatcher" ... the bottom drawer?

or do you have something separate?

9. retiredwithchicks

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    Bottom drawer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by