New cage for my quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jackyboy, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jackyboy

jackyboy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Hi,

I'm considering to purchase a new cage for my 2 quails.

I have come across a bird cage which is spacious enough for 4 quails but I would like to ask before buying. The cage floor is a grill type with 1/2 inch spacing but only have wires in one direction.

Is single parallel wire floor suitable for quail without negative effect for their feet?

Look similar to the one in the pic

http://img.21food.com/20110609/product/1305285643156.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, they can learn to walk on this type of grating. You could always take out the grate and put sand or parakeet grit on the bottom. Sand is great for birds feet. Keeps their pads healthy, they can dust bathe in it and it is absorbent for poop. I use it in my quail aviaries, chicken runs and parrot cages as well. Sand for everybody! LOL

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    You do not say what type of quail. if they are Chinese Blue Breasted "Button" then no or only if you use some type of covering that they cannot get their feet stuck in. I use a bird cage but line the bottom with nonskid shelf liner. I roll it up and remove it every 2 weeks to wash I have two pieces cut to fit so one can be drying and the other is in use in the cage. I also use aspen shavings on the liner and supply them with a pan of sand to bathe in. [​IMG]

4. jackyboy

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. Coturnix they are. I rather have them on the grill floor so that the dropping goes in the pan that I will have a thin layer of sand so that it absorbs the droppings and is more hygenic to reduce flies.

I just hope the grill type is dear on their feets as they cope well on the square grids of 1/2x 1/2 in.

5. i have some of my jap quails in a similar cage, i always have a sandbath in the cage, i top it up with fresh sydney sand every 3-4 days, as twocrowsranch mentioned they love sand! it keeps them happy and feet in good condition. i also put 10mm by 10mm hardware cloth on the bottom over the top of the grill, it keeps there feet from slipping through. good luck with your quail adventures.

6. jackyboy

Jan 27, 2013
    I have a good supply of coral sand. How big should the bath be?

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That depends on how big the cage area is. If this cage is pretty small, you can use a cereal box cut down to fit. Make sure these two birds can comfortably fit in together and bathe at the same time.

8. jackyboy

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks for the tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by