New Campbell Duck - when will it lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BC-NZ, Jan 29, 2014.

1. BC-NZ

BC-NZ Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    hello all,
    I've just added 2 Khaki Campbell's (1 Drake & 1 Duck) to my flock of 8 Muscovies (mum with 7 x monster 8 week olds!) they seems to be getting on well together though don't really mix during the day. The 2 Khaki Campbell's just waddle around with eachother

I'd like to know how long I should expect to wait till the Campbell duck starts to lay? she's about 15 months old and it's summer here

also sometimes while swimming they bob their heads together for about 5 minutes as if they might mate but nothing ever happens...

I've had them just 4 days

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are getting settled in so it may be any where from a couple weeks to a month. and then again if she has a private place inside their enclosure she may feel comfortable enough to lay sooner. All depends on her. [​IMG]

3. BC-NZ

BC-NZ Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    ok thanks, they do free range during the day after 9am till dusk and at night we've been putting them all into a 3.5x2.4m cage with a 1.2x1.3m coop attached to it
    in the coop there's not a lot of spare room but there is 3 nesting stalls and a larger open area where they sleep, I haven't noticed them fighting in there but the do like their own little corner still

4. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hi. We just added 3 Khaki Campbell hens and a Chocolate Muscovy hen yesterday. The campbells are 5 going on six months old and the muscovy about 7 months. All 4 girls laid a egg upon arrival yesterday early as soon as put in their new coop. I went out to get lights on at 7am and two campbell eggs had already been laid. maybe I'm just lucky but these are laying prior to 6 months old and there is no shock to them being relocated. Its still pretty cold here on the east coast of Canada. Here they are,[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Beautiful ducks zook, and congrats on the eggs too.

6. BC-NZ

BC-NZ Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    you've done well!, still no sign of any egg from ours... person I got them from said she would expect a month or 2 before laying again.....
    I don't see many feathers around so she doesn't seem to be moulting, actually looks in top condition
    I guess I just have to wait :-|

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sometimes they really teach us patience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by