New castle disease. Help

Zohaib

Songster
Mar 21, 2016
Pakistan
Any treatment for Newcastle disease in peafowl almost whole of the flock is effected 2 died already. Any suggestions any treatment plz

It's viral bird disease ... so antibioticum has NO action !Only vaccination .
The symptoms are the same as in poultry? neck turns !
It was in 2015 ... too !

It's viral bird disease ... so antibioticum has NO action !Only vaccination .
The symptoms are the same as in poultry? neck turns !
It was in 2015 ... too !
Yeah same, the virus is damaging their nervous system. So there is no treatment :(

If it is exotic Newcastle, mortality can be anywhere from 50 to 100% and no treatment is effective.
If it isn't exotic but another strain of the paramyxovirus, the mortality isn't as high but in either case, it is very contagious.
To know for sure and how to proceed, you'll need the strain of virus identified by a poultry laboratory.
http://petsnvetspk.blogspot.com/2015/06/poultry-consultants-and-diagnostic.html
If exotic Newcastle, you'll have to destroy the whole flock.
It is spread through the air, feed, water, on equipment and the feet of rodents. It will run through the whole flock in 3 to 5 days. It lasts 3 to 4 weeks. Keep the birds warm and well fed. Survivors will be immune but will be carriers for about a month. Eggs laid by infected hens won't hatch.
The best thing you can do is move your birds to new housing. Keep those without symptoms separated from those affected. Thoroughly clean and disinfect all equipment and housing with a 20% chlorine bleach solution. If possible open the pens up so sunlight can reach the ground and walls. I'd keep the housing vacant for a month. Be very careful about footwear and tracking the virus around.

Last edited:
If it is exotic Newcastle, mortality can be anywhere from 50 to 100% and no treatment is effective.
If it isn't exotic but another strain of the paramyxovirus, the mortality isn't as high but in either case, it is very contagious.
To know for sure and how to proceed, you'll need the strain of virus identified by a poultry laboratory.
http://petsnvetspk.blogspot.com/2015/06/poultry-consultants-and-diagnostic.html
If exotic Newcastle, you'll have to destroy the whole flock.
It is spread through the air, feed, water, on equipment and the feet of rodents. It will run through the whole flock in 3 to 5 days. It lasts 3 to 4 weeks. Keep the birds warm and well fed. Survivors will be immune but will be carriers for about a month. Eggs laid by infected hens won't hatch.
The best thing you can do is move your birds to new housing. Keep those without symptoms separated from those affected. Thoroughly clean and disinfect all equipment and housing with a 20% chlorine bleach solution. If possible open the pens up so sunlight can reach the ground and walls. I'd keep the housing vacant for a month. Be very careful about footwear and tracking the virus around.
1st the virus hit chickens 8 out of 20 died in 2 days others seems fine with no symptoms than after 4 days virus hits year old peafowls, they started showing symptoms 2 died yesterday 2 are in severe condition from last 36 hours but living, other 13 are a little bit lazy some of them has a watery nasal discharge. I removed them from their pen yesterday and put them into another enclosure and feeding them soft food and giving them antibiotics in water.
The virus did not entered into the adults peafowls pen yet.

Interesting. The reason I mentioned sunshine is that seems to help kill the virus.
The antibiotics would only help with a secondary bacterial infection.
I would be very careful with transmission of the virus from pen to pen. I would probably tend the healthy birds first and use different shoes, clothes for working with the others. I use disposable plastic boot covers and coveralls and a boot wash.

Interesting. The reason I mentioned sunshine is that seems to help kill the virus.
The antibiotics would only help with a secondary bacterial infection.
I would be very careful with transmission of the virus from pen to pen. I would probably tend the healthy birds first and use different shoes, clothes for working with the others. I use disposable plastic boot covers and coveralls and a boot wash.
I am almost doing the same. I hope this time would get over with minimal loss.
If the infected one survives would he get better get recovered from its current condition? He can't hold his head, continously shaking from past 40 hours .

About all you can do with viruses is keep your birds as healthy as possible with good nutrition, warmth, ventilation, clean water, etc.. IMO, if a bird survives a viral disease, they can be immune/resistant. That's how species survive.

Last edited:
The virus has been in Pakistan for years.
There are national vaccination campaigns?
Is the vaccine they use effective?

Out of the body, how long does the virus live?

Back
Top Bottom