new cat in town

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tsirkucp, Jan 26, 2013.

1. tsirkucp

tsirkucp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    A new yeller cat has been poking its head around my house, its only the second time i've seen it but the first time after dark. my problem is tha my chickens wont go in the coop at night. they want to be outside on top of a perch in the middle of the run(they like to look at the stars) surrounded by 5 ft fence. how worried should i be? should i hire droop dog to "take the cat out".

thoughts ??
    also my polish and my buff are not laying , when will they

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think you'll be better off making them stay in the coop - today it's a cat, tomorrow, maybe a raccoon...then an owl...wouldn't want you to lose your whole flock - or any of it. Start manually putting them in - they should start to recognize it as the place they belong soon.

Your birds not laying...how old are they - have they started? If they have, it may just shorter days - getting long now, fortunately, or if they came off molt. My established birds just started up again. Was glad I had some pullets that kept me supplied for the dry spell.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If you take the perch down and make a perch in the coop as the only alternative, they should soon move inside.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by