New Catawba Coops chicken ark...now with pics, I think

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BackToMyRoots, Aug 3, 2010.

1. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    This is my first time posting a picture, so please let me know if you can't see this. I know that space may be an issue unless someone turns out to be a rooster, which is a distinct possibility. I'm already thinking of making a portable run to go with it, or at least some kind of temporary fencing that I could set up and babysit for an hour or two at a time. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Quote:I do not see pic [​IMG]

3. BackToMyRoots

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    I just thought of a more specific question: anyone have a bright idea for adding more ventilation without compromising the roof? Only the egg doors are non-water-shedding, so if I put any holes in the roof, I'll learn the true meaning of the expression, "mad as a wet hen." I was thinking of something like a stovepipe setup with a cover. Right now we're just moving the coop into the garage when the temperature is set to soar.

4. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    I like it. It looks like it has plenty of ventilation.

5. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    I love A-Frame Chicken Arks. Love them. So appealing to the eye. The problem is they don't fit very many chickens. I have one that is the same dimensions as yours (I'm assuming). It has 32 sqft in the run and 18 sqft in the upper "coop" part. The problem is, only half that space (guess) is usable by the chickens, due to the slant. On their site they say "up to 8 chickens". I would say at the most you could have is 2-3 large fowl or 3-4 bantams, depending on the breeds. I ordered another coop the day after I set up my ark. It's great for a grow out coop, banty coop, or small flock coop!

6. speedymom

speedymom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Love it! This was exactly what I envisioned as my dream coop until we built it then discovered my dog did nothing but race around it and terrorize the girls. So we sold it and built fort knox.

7. BackToMyRoots

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    Wow, speedymom, I never thought about the dog question. That must have been really frustrating! I also agree that it's not really a big enough coop for a medium-sized flock. I'm already wishing I had room for one more, no, two more, no, maybe three more chickies...

I'm really relieved that it doesn't seem like it'll suffocate the hens on summer nights. Eventually we'll be putting a two-foot skirt on so that we can leave the ramp down in good weather, so that will help to alleviate my worries!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by