New Cayuga Duckling not standing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlackAce, Nov 14, 2013.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I just hatched as of today two Cayuga ducklings. One is still in the egg and it's cracked so that one should be coming soon.

I had the first duckling hatch earlier today. It took two days for it to hatch but today it finally did. Here was my thread on that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/837648/helping-cayugas-hatch

Well now that it hatched it's having trouble standing. It just keeps flailing it legs, they are also in a straddle position. Basically just sitting on its butt and flailing it legs like it trying to run. I had another one hatch and right away it stood up. The neck also has a curve to it while the other one is straight. I'm getting a little worried about it and I don't want to lose it.

Also, the air sac on this one was strange. These were shipped eggs and the air sac was detached. I had them in a carton with the fat end up for over a week and rotating them to finally get the air sac back in place. This one though went back into place but for some strange reason also ran down the side of the egg to the bottom. I had thought for sure that it wasn't going to make and hatch but it did and was the first to hatch. So should I have any concerns about the duckling with the air sac?

This is my second attempt trying to hatch Cayugas and this time I don't want to lose any to my mistake.

Any thoughts or ideas?

HELP!!!!

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    BlackAce, what kind of surface are they on? If they cannot get traction, ducklings can develop splay leg or spraddle leg.

Your little may also need some vitamins, especially thiamine or niacin. Gro-gel is one brand, sav-a-chik is another.

After a difficult hatch, it can take hours and hours for a duckling to have enough strength to stand up.

I am not a hatcher, what I am sharing is from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and what I have read on the forum.

Prayers for all of you.

3. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    The are in their styrofoam incubator so they have traction, the surface is not wet or slippery. It's feet are also curled / closed. It's moving around and holding it's head up fine. The bill looks crooked or oddly shaped, is it possible that because of the strange air sac that it may have a birth defect?

I held it in my hand and seems to have no strength in the legs but it holding it's head up really good.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The air sac and physical problems may be related, I don't know. But I do think that gro-gel or other nutrient supplements are worth a try.

Have you checked in on the Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day is Today?

5. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    No I haven't I'm gonna have to look at that thread.

I was just looking up at sav-a-chick and gro gel. I think i'm gonna pick them up I have chick are about two weeks old now I can give it to them too.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I need to turn in. I hope you can get some experienced hatchers to help you out. I have read postings from people whose ducklings started out with leg and neck problems, and with hydrotherapy (monitored swim time), vitamins, TLC and sometimes splints or braces, the ducklings have improved.

If you can find the story of Bentley, that may encourage you.

g'night.

7. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    Thank you very much for the help and words of encouragement!!! It's very much appreciated!!!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How are the ducklings today?

9. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    I didn't look that good at her cause I have to go to work but she looks like really good. From what I could tell her neck straightened out and her legs look so much better. Her legs looks straight and she stood up. I didn't see her walk but a 1000x improvement than yesterday. Hopefully she's be walking and everything will be fine when I get home from work.

I had all three hatch! So I'm happy I just hope they all do good.

May last batch of chick I had two die within the first 24 hours.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's great news, sometimes it just takes time for all to work out. Congrats on your new ducklings and post pics when you get time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by