new chaos in chick flock. why?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bj taylor, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    started sometime this afternoon, chicks picking on others until they bleed (especially @ base of tail). 3 of 4 picked on are buff orpington (does color have anything to do with it?). i'm sure this has been addressed, but i don't know where to look on this forum to find the why and how to fix.
    i've separated the bloody ones. they haven't been overcrowded (unusually warm today). i've had the perfect little flock until now & i'm baffled what's happened & why.
    will i be able to re-introduce these four once healed?

2. Charrisse

Charrisse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Nashville, Indiana
    My guys (11 days old) were being little pills yesterday. I did move the heat light from one side of the brooder to the other, but I don't think THAT would have made them act out like they were. They were seriously just acting like moody little brats LOL!! Fighting, squawking, sulking, throwing food, and not all cute and chicken like. Like ****** off 2 yr olds! Today they are better. I rewarded them (all 26 of them) with a bag of 35 crickets from the pet store. They are happily sleeping off the treat. LOL
    I swear, they are just like kids.
    Someone did mention when I posted about this yesterday, that when feathers come in, they noticed chicks getting moody. My guys had new feathers on their backs this morning.. so that could have very well been it. They are normally super sweet, friendly and come right up to me.

3. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    My 4 week old Delawares have been moody and anti-social since I put them in the garage. They're really starting to feather out and it seems like they're trying to establish a pecking order. They don't like being held anymore, but I still go out there 4 times a day and make them put up with me. I have my more friendly Delaware, Belle, in with my silkie since her sister died the other day, I put Belle back out with the other Dels for a few hours today and they were all fine other than the typical squabbling. I haven't seen any blood drawn though. I hope a more experienced keeper can help you.

4. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    Are you using a clear or red heat lamp? Red light is supposed to reduce picking.
    Are the chicks the same age? I would keep them separated for awhile- they should heal and get feathers quickly. If they do have bare spots, I would put blue-kote on them, The ones that are separated may pick at each other.

5. bj taylor

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i've been using the red heat lamp @ night & (depending on temps) during the day using a 75 watt white bulb at the same time or by itself because the garage is rather dim. i turn the white light off at night. i'm a little anxious how long i can keep the ones separated before they become 'strangers' to the others & when re-introduced, i have a whole different problem. they're all the same age.
    i'm going to leave the white light off from now on. i think i'm going to move them to the coop tomorrow where they'll have more room & hopefully more hamony.
    is blue kote something i can buy at tractor supply?

6. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    Yes, it comes in spray and in a bottle you can swab it on. Wear gloves and be careful because it stains everything deep purple.A few days after you blue-kote them, I would put them back together and watch closely. I've raised A LOT of chicks and currently have about 20 in the same brooder-ages vary from 5 days to 2 1/2 weeks and they don't pick at each other.
    How many chicks do you have and how old are they? Chickens have good memory in my opinion. I don't think they would think they are strangers.

7. bj taylor

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    thank y'all so much for the input. i have some with blue fannies now. everyone has been moved to the coop. problem solved (for the moment).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by