new Chicens tons of pictures

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alleyoops25, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    We went and got some free chickens out of the paper. 30 in all. mostly hens and pullets. But we arent sure what breeds they are. I wanted to post them and see if anyone has anything that looks like them or knows what breeds they might be.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I see a Speckled Sussex in the second pic and possibly an Easter Egger and some crosses. They look a little ragged-what conditions were they kept in? In the last pic, that white stuff on the comb could be favus, a fungal infection of the comb. Have to see a closer pic of it, though, for someone to be more definitive.

3. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    The people who we got them from were a older couple who were doing good to get out and feed them. The old man was the one to feed them and he slipped and fell the first part of Nov. He spent up until a couple weeks ago in the nursing home. HIs wife was scared of them, and would only go out at night to give them feed, so they didnt chase her down. I am thinking they stayed alive because they were able to free range. Anyway the old man got home and finding out the misses wasnt taking to good of care for them and not able t do much better him self he put them in the paper. And now I am in the picture. However some of the ragged spots on the chickens happend when we were trying to catch them. They were with no fences, and after we coul;d no longer run the old man let his dog catch them and hold them down for us. They were also out in the mudd in the back part of my property today as well. The roo in the last picture has a scab on his comb because he and my head Roo went several rounds to figure out who was boss. I have antibiotic ointment on it which is why it is white. I know they are shabby but you never can expect much when someone is giving them away. I will have to post pictures of them after they get settled that way they will more apealing to the eyes. speckledhen thank you for your concern though it shows how much you care for chickens.

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    #2 Speckled Sussex
    #3 EE ?

one might be NH

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Their condition makes sense to me with the conditions you describe. Sad, but it was wise of the man to find a nice home for them. I bet they'll clean up well and with proper feed, they should fill out and do well for you. I love my Speckled Sussex girl-yours looks like she'll be very pretty with a little TLC.

6. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Aw, bless their hearts. Good for the poor old guy to find them a home, sad too, though. Glad you will be able to doctor them up and get them better. [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They should fatten up and fill out right pretty. The speckle sussex is very pretty with her markings.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Glad you were able to give them a good home! I'm sure you'll be rewarded with many beautiful orbes of goodness (as my DH calls them!)

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    These all looked familiar to me:

1) Golden Sex Link
    2) Speckled Sussex (way too much white, not show quality)
    3) Speckled Sussex
    4) Marans
    5) Same as #1
    6) Black Sex Llink
    7) Red Sex Link Cockrel

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I see a New Hampshire rooster in one photo. My guess anyway. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by