New Chick/Adult ID Chart

AnimalLady123

Songster
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
At the computer
I am hoping to make a chart that will help us BYCers ID our chicks/adults!! So if I could get some pictures of :1. Breast Feathers
2. Back Feathers
3. Tail Feathers
4. Unique Features Of This Particular Breed
5. And (Or) Face And Comb Type!!!
6. Leg Color
7. Clean or Feather Footed/Legged
8. Skin Color
9. Side View
10. Number Of Toes
11. Toenail Color
12. Beak Color
DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ALL 12 PICTURES FOR 1 BREED, I CAN GET MORE THAN 1 PERSON TO PARTICIPATE!!!!! GOOD LUCK SHOOTING!!
It'd be very helpful if you would take the photos on plain dirt, cement, and/or sidewalk OR edit the to make a White/Black background or just any color background that's easiest to see chicks/adults!!
Thanks and have a great day,
AnimalLady123

Last edited:
Thanks for the post! Similar ID type of projects have been started in the past and a few of them actually got some great pictures together. I think the limitations of our old platform made this project difficult and it never become "completed". Now that we have more and better tools, especially related to albums and pictures, I hope we can take this type of project all the way to completion with the help of many members.

If peeps have links to other threads or pages with information and images from before, or ideas and suggestions, please let us know.

Thanks for the post! Similar ID type of projects have been started in the past and a few of them actually got some great pictures together. I think the limitations of our old platform made this project difficult and it never become "completed". Now that we have more and better tools, especially related to albums and pictures, I hope we can take this type of project all the way to completion with the help of many members.

If peeps have links to other threads or pages with information and images from before, or ideas and suggestions, please let us know.

Please let us know!!

If we are going to put together a chart we need to have consistency in the pictures. For instance each breed could have a 4 pictures, but they should all be of the same areas of the chicken. Maybe all taken from a pullet aged chicken.Each breed could have those 5(Or whatever we agree on) pictures taken at the same locations on each breed of chicken.Pictures should be of the same sex, or we could do hen/rooster combos since some might have different coloring.We could have people who judge chickens chime in to provide colors information.What do you all think? If anyone wants to jump in and volunteer to help, that would be fabulous! If not I'll be scouting and sending out a few PMs next weekend.We could do specific breeds, if color patterns are named differently from breed to breed. I think the main goal should be more trying to photograph actual colors and patterns. We could use whole bird images and close-ups of the feather patterns. It might also be helpful to list what the abbreviations are for each color.Barred, Self and Cuckoo are good examples.Is anyone aware of a written list of colors and/or pattern out there somewhere? This was the sort of image I was thinking would work well.
michiganwoods_eehen.jpg

It would be nice if we could add the coloring as chicks too, so we could compare to some of the chicks we get.I guess I need to set up a guideline for these photos.

Image requirements:

* Good clean image of your chicken from chicken-eye-level

* Nice, alert standing pose akin to the one my EE is on Page 2

* Make sure nothing is covering any part of the chicken -- grass can be a problem. Driveways, patios or solid ground that doesn't have blades of grass that could obscure parts of your chickens would work best.

* Try and get a sharp (not blurry) even exposure, with no details hidden in shadow, or blown out by too much light.
TIP: If the day is overcast, you may not need your flash. But in direct sunlight, using your flash can be beneficial. The sun will create harsh shadows in which details of your image can be lost. Using flash will illuminate these shadowed areas. If you're able to, try adjusting your flash to be brighter or less bright, depending on how your pictures are turning out.

If you need me to edit your image to match the style of my image on page 2, crop your photo down as close as you can to the chicken without cutting any part of it off. Resize it to no more than 1000 pixels in either height or width and then you can email it to me at [email protected] You should include the breed name, color and pattern names (if applicable, and if you know!), and your name so that we can credit you with the photo.

Make sure to title your email with "Backyard Chicken Project Photos", that way it will get filtered into the appropriate folder in my inbox.
Thanks,
AnimalLady123​

Back
Top Bottom