New chick arrived but he is mean!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickymamma, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Chickymamma

Chickymamma New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    Yes I couldn't resist I picked up the egg to candle it not knowing exactly when it should be hatching and it cracked I think it must have cracked through inside and it was very fragile. I didn't really expect the chick to make it but he is thriving very well! Being as he was in a cracked egg I brought him inside under the heat lamp so he didn't get hurt from being stepped on and we have another hen that likes to climb in there and lay her eggs. This is day #3 since he hatched with help [​IMG] and he is moving around being very vocal eating and pooping but when I try to put him with his mom she gets really nervous because he is hyper as can be and he starts pecking her and pecking her waddle she doesn't like this and seemed to try and peck at him once so I removed him. What do I do? Is it normal for a chick to attack the hen like this? I finally got him to quiet down by putting a few stuffed ducks in his cage lol!

2. SJensen

SJensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    South Surrey
    I had a single chick that was was rejected similarly. We have kept him indoors and are using a feather duster to keep him company -- see my blog link....
    Good luck!

3. Chickymamma

Chickymamma New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    I actually just saw that very cute I may have to try something like that. I am hoping we get another hatched tomorrow maybe they will be friends and when they all hatch maybe I can put them all back in with her?? Here is to hoping!

4. Chickymamma

Chickymamma New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    If I show him the video recording on my phone of him self he pecks at my phone lol! He might be to mean to another baby [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh, he's probably one of those ungrateful chicks that throws a fit and sez "I never asked to be born." He'll simmer down in time - maybe harder was harder to get out of the egg than he thought.

6. Chickymamma

Chickymamma New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    LOL! How the heck do you get them to sleep so you can!?! He is so noisy!

7. SJensen

SJensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    South Surrey
    I think that if you put the chick under her at night without her seeing it, there's a better chance she'll accept it as her own. And the sooner the better. I had good luck with this the first time -- about 6 months ago -- with a 4 day old chick.

This past time (with the silkie who loves the feather duster) the other chicks didn't hatch until a full week later, so when I tried to put the older one under the hen, it was quite a bit bigger than the others and she rejected it in the morning.

Keep us posted as to what you end up doing, ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by