new chick bedding ?

shakecc

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Central OH
My brooder is going to be a dog kennel for the 8 chicks I am expecting tomorrow. What is the best bedding for the day old chicks...pine bedding or paper towels?

Thanks!

I am using newspaper. It works well and is easy to clean up. No worries about bugs or pests. I am also using a cat carrier until they are large enough for the dog crate. I will put the dog crate in the coop to get all the girls used to each other so the transition will be easier when the babies are old enough.

I placed a couple of inches of pine down, then put paper towels over that for two weeks. I sprinkled some feed onto the towels, and they were able to find it to eat. Was easy to transition to the feeder after that. The pine under the paper towels made it a little softer for the chicks.
How large are the openings in your enclosure? You may want to check to make sure the chicks can't slip out.
smile.png

Carla

the kennel is a Vari-Kennel so the hard plastic kind. On the wire mesh front we have put a lip around to keep shavings in. I don't believe the holes are large enough that they could get stuck in, but we will see when I get them home this afternoon. Thanks for the suggestions!

no newspaper- too slick- can cause leg issues-- I like shelf liiner stuff-but with a BIG grid- the stuff I have seen lately is woven too small and their little nails get tstuck- I wash and reuse it . Then after a wee or 10 days I switch to shavings. If you want less dust -use aspen. but pine is cheaper and easier to find.A friend of mine used chopped a timothy/alfala hay product that comes in a 50# bag from TSC ( I think it is called TNT).I may try that-- it would decompose so fast in the compose heap and they could eat it for sure.BUt it looks so dirty! It is loose green fibers basically.

Back
Top Bottom